XIV

XIV

       Could it really be the same one? Was it possible that my father was on that ship?

Don’t get your hopes up, Grace, a voice reminded me.

“Brace yourself!” the Captain called again.

I gripped the wooden poles. I was too caught up in my thoughts to feel the harsh sting of the wave--or the fact that it was ripping my clothes.

Suddenly Jake burst through the doors.  He acknowledged were I was and started coming toward me.

“Jake, wait! Hold the mast, a wave is coming!” Sir William yelled to him. Only I heard it. It was too late, it seemed.

“Jake!” I screeched as he was knocked off his feet. When the wave passed, I scrambled to the side of the unstable ship to see Jake holding on. He was kicking at the side of the ship trying the get a footing to lift himself up. I ran to him and grabbed his hand. His feet kept dangling by his other hand and he was too heavy for me to lift by myself.

“Captain!” I called aimlessly. I had no clue whether he heard me or not.

Then we were both spiraling off the edge as another wave hit us. I only remembered clutching to Jake as we both fell into the deadly ocean.

*******

       My arms turned into steel clamps. I was not losing my best friend.

I couldn’t see anything, I couldn’t breathe, I couldn’t think. It must’ve been driven into me as a last resort; to never lose someone who was important in my life ever again. Maybe that was why I never let go of Jake.

I felt a hand grab my motionless body. My body probably looked like a rag doll. Then I felt pain.

“Jake!” I called sitting upright abruptly.

“Calm down, the lad is here,” said someone standing over me.

I looked up but quickly stumbled back. “You!”

“Ah, the lad remembers me,” the man said chuckling to himself.

It was the man who I was hired to steal the diamonds for, the man who tried to double cross me, the man whose crew I escaped from. This man, I particularly could not forget. The last time I was on this ship, it was night. No wonder I didn’t realize then that it was yellow and white.

“Are you the Captain?” I asked rising to my feet.

“As a matter of fact, I am,” replied the skinny man. “I see you admire my ship,” he said again spreading his hands.

I was looking around, pretending to observe his ship when really I was looking for Captain James. I stood up straighter and replied, “I don’t admire a coward’s belongings, much less a double crossing old fool’s ship.”

You better be prepared to die now, Grace.

“You’ll learn respect soon enough. You think I’m a double crossing fool? Your Captain is the one who double crossed me.”

I was startled.

“Oh, so he didn’t tell you? Neither did the Sir then. If you and this runt mean anything to him, he’ll be looking for you and I reckon he won’t enjoy it when he sees me again. That Captain would be better off dead, then to suffer my revenge.”

“You’re so childish!”

“Am I?! We’ll see about that. Maybe I’ll just kill you now, I’m tired of you already,” the man threatened only for me to shut up. I knew he would never. For some reason I was important to him, like a valuable piece of treasure. “Clean the other boy up,” the man said pointing at Jake who was still passed out beside me. “This one,” he nodded toward me, “might be a little fun under the right circumstances, but for now, get him better clothes.”

How could this man want to give us new clothes, or how could he not want to lay a blow on me after I just insulted him? This kind of patience was killing me! My remarks didn’t offend him and he knows how much I hate that.

“Move along then,” a man said pushing me in the direction of the crew’s quarters.

“Wait.” I kneeled down to Jake’s side. I wrapped his arm around me while I lifted him up. “Come one, Jake,” I muttered struggling to drag him along.

“Ughhhh,” Jake mumbled before having a coughing fit.

I followed the man downstairs, the whole way feeling the cold glares of the rest of the crew. Their berthing was much similar to the one on Captain James’ ship. I laid Jake down on the first bed I saw. It didn’t look that comfortable; it was merely a blanket strewn across the floor. Jake coughed again.

“This is what you get for not getting enough sleep, Jake. You get sick easily,” I said to him feeling his forehead with the back of my hand. He was sweating furiously and his body was sickly hot. He smiled up at me before falling asleep.

The sailor that brought me down here now returned with a few rags and new clothes for us both. “I’ll help this boy change, as for you, the Captain needs you in his quarters now.”

“I can’t change first?” I asked with hate visible in my voice. I didn’t want to leave Jake’s side yet.

Especially before you change,” the man replied then jerked me up by my arm.

Why is that? I thought to myself.