XVI

XVI

       “Captain Stones, it’s so good to see you again.”

“The feeling is not mutual, James,” Captain Stones replied after approaching the six men that came upon his ship.

“I’d prefer you call him Captain James, Stones,” Sir William said walking out from behind his nephew.

“Ah, William. Always the one for respect but if I remember correctly, you seemed to not have any.”

“Enough of this,” Captain James interrupted before a fight could get started. “We are here for our two crew members. Where are they?”

“Two crew members? Perhaps if you described them to me, Captain James,” Captain Stones asked pretending to not know.

Captain James’ anger rose but he managed to speak in that smooth voice of his, “A skinny lad who wears a hood and mask, and another lad who has golden hair and he’s about my height. Need I describe further?”

Captain Stones scratched his old head and replied, “I…haven’t seen them unfortunately. We were too busy battling the storm ourselves to notice any men swimming by. Perhaps they’re in the toilet? I don’t know, what do you think men?” Captain Stones turned toward his crew and asked, “Have we seen them?”

The crew played dumb which wasn’t too hard for them to do anyway, and answered one at a time, “Who, Captain?” “Nah, no lads pass by here.” “I reckon not, Captain.”

Jabari spoke up, “I suggest you allow us to search your ship. After all, would not you want us to stay longer, Captain Stones?”

“What are you doing, Jabari?” Captain James asked him.

Captain Stones pondered this for a moment. He did after all, want to kill these men. Maybe when they went down into the berthing he could lock them down there so they could starve to death. Or maybe he’d ambush them…ah, there’s an idea.

Jabari knew these thoughts would occur to Captain Stones. He grew up in a village who believed strongly in revenge. He knew how vengeful men thought. He also knew that the other five men accompanying him were skilled fighters and the rest of the crew members were ready to attack this ship at Captain James’ signal.

“I think that would be fair, my dear African man. May I ask though, do I know ya’ from somewhere?” Captain Stones spoke. He studied Jabari’s face.

How could Jabari forget this man? He was the one who took him from his family and burned his village, yet he answered, “No, Captain. I believe not.”

“Alright then, let us get on with this search shall we?” Captain Stones said pointing them in the direction of the crew’s quarters.

*******

       The door creaked open. I was slightly amused by the look on Jake’s face when he came in.

“Wow, Ace. I see that you’ve taken care of your situation,” he said while looking at the unconscious men on the floor before him.

“It was necessary,” I said grinning. “Now can you help me out of these ropes?”

He looked around the room for something to cut with.

“I see you are better now,” I said taking notice that his fever was gone. “How did you know I needed help?”

Jake found a knife on a table across the room and walked back toward me. “I didn’t, actually. When my fever left I woke up and heard some men coming down the stairs. I didn’t want to know who it was and I was also looking for you, so I came up by the stairs that the men weren’t taking.” He cut my ropes and I rubbed my bruised wrists.

“Those men going down the stairs were most likely with Captain James. He found us, Jake. I heard one of the pirates say it,” I said excitingly to Jake then grabbed the fresh pair of clothes on beside me. “Let me quickly change then we have to hurry back.”

Jake looked relieved to hear that Captain James was here. “Alright then, change.”

I stood there waiting for him to turn around or cover his eyes. He just stood there.

“Oh, sorry mate,” Jake said realization coming over him. “I forgot that you’re a shy lad. It’s alright; before I was experienced with women, I was shy of my body too.” He chuckled and turned around.

I rolled my eyes at his statement. I wished that I hadn’t had heard that, about him being experienced with women.

My hood was not torn, thankfully, but I would have to throw everything else away. Finishing pulling my pants up I asked Jake, “What is that noise?”

*******

       “Kill them all!” Captain Stones quickly commanded before Captain James could signal his crew.

Men came from every angle. The six crew members stood with their backs to each other and their swords drawn. They fought like monsters.

“Now, Alexander,” Captain James said waiting for the signal.

Alexander nodded his head and put his fingers to his lips. His whistle came out strong and loud. As loud as any battle cry. Within minutes, dozens of English men were pouring over the sides onto Captain Stones’ deck.

*******

       “What noise, Ace?” Jake asked looking at me.

“Didn’t you hear it? A loud whistling noise.” Suddenly the boat shook and the sounds of cannons being prepared were definitely heard.

“I sure did hear that,” Jake said bracing himself.

“Quickly, let’s go,” I said walking to the door. I pushed it open and almost wished I hadn’t.

Men were everywhere. The ones who weren’t fighting were rolling large cannons out and firing it at Captain James’ ship. I grabbed Jake’s arm and rushed down the stairs ready to kick anyone’s arse. I saw Captain James occupied with three men at once. I watched in amazement at his sword fighting skills.

A hand wrapped around my neck and at first I was wondering why Jake was grabbing me. Then a sword was put to my throat and my arm was pulled behind me.

“Retreat men, we can blow ‘em out of the ocean from our own ship!” cried Alexander.

The English sailors all started to jump onto their own ship. Captain James stayed put. “We need our two men first!” he said to Sir William who was fighting beside him.

“I have an idea, Captain James, but we need to retreat first,” Sir William replied.

The pirates started backing off Captain James warily. They were aware of his skills now. He looked up and spotted me and cried out, “Let them go, Stones!”

Captain Stones yelled back from behind me, “Come and get them, James.”

Sir William spoke to Captain James, “Trust me, James. It’s only the two of us on this deck now. Retreat first.” Sir William then whispered something in Captain James’ ear and he nodded.

“Go ahead, Sir William. I’ll be right there,” Captain James spoke loudly now.

Sir William retreated and jumped onto his ship.

Captain James glanced toward me again and cried out angrily, “Meet me at the closest shore at sunrise! If you don’t, I will personally blast this bloody ship out of the ocean. Do you hear me, Captain Stones?”

Captain Stones’ blade pressed tighter against my throat.

“Don’t risk your whole crew’s lives for one boy, Captain Stones,” Captain James quickly said after noticing his blade. Captain James looked into my eyes and I knew he was trying to tell me something.

“Alright then, Captain James,” Captain Stone said looking behind him at the dark blue horizon. He looked back and said, “Seems like I’ll see you in a couple of hours.”

Captain James nodded then leaped from the deck onto his own.