Fourteen.

This is not my best chapter, I realize this and for that I am sorry. There are also some more medical jargon and procedures and I will say this until this story finishes but I am not a medical professional and can only go so far with the research I have done. If I have gotten anything incorrect, please tell me and tell me how to fix it and I will do such.

Also, I don't really care about whatever treaty the Cullens have with the Quileute because Bella visits Billy at his house in this chapter with her daughter and I just. ¯\_()_/¯

Her dad comes with her to get the lumbar puncture. He waits outside the room and watches.

It's confirmed that Nelly's cancer has spread to her spinal cord.

**

During Nelly's first round of cytarabine, she starts to lose her hair. It comes out slowly while she sits in the hospital, puking into a bin. Her dad is sitting with her and Jacob is somewhere in the hospital. Nelly hasn't spoken to him in two weeks. He's tried talking to her, but Nelly doesn't want to hear it. Loving someone and wanting to spend time with them is not an excuse she accepts for bailing on important hospital visits.

Her brother wanders in not long after Nelly pulls away the first lump of hair. Nelly looks at him and can see that he's itching to leave. Jesus, even now...

"Go," she says to him.

He looks at her. "What?"

"I said go," she gestures to the exit. "You don't want to be here, so leave."

"I made you a promise-"

"That you've broken." She gives him a tired look. "You're only here now because you feel obligated to be. And I don't want you here for that reason."

"Nelly," Jacob half-laughs, shocked and almost angry that she's saying these things. "You threw a fit because I wasn't here the last time! And now you want me to leave?"

"I 'threw a fit' because you promised me that I wouldn't be alone and I was. I don't want you here if you don't want to be here, which you clearly don't!" She gestures at him. "I want you to want to be here for me, but clearly Bella's daughter is more important than me."

"You know what, yeah, she is." Jacob looks angry. "She's in danger, Nells, and I hate that I'm leaving her unprotected! Besides, she actually likes spending time with me, she likes being around me. She doesn't yell at me like you, none of the Cullens do."

Nelly has angry tears falling down her cheeks. "Get out. Jacob Black, I swear to God if you don't leave me alone this second..."

"You'll what?" He laughs meanly. "Sic Paul on me?"

"No, she'll sic me on you," Billy jumps in. Jacob and Nelly are both shocked to hear him speak, having forgotten that he is sitting right beside Nelly. "You've done some bad things, Jacob, I'm not going to lie, but this has to be the worst. Your sister is sick and you are prioritizing a little girl who is protected by an entire coven over her. I'm very disappointed in you."

"Dad, she's my-!"

"And Nelly is your sister," he snaps. "Family always comes first. I thought you knew that." Billy shakes his head and waves his hand at Jacob. "Just go, Nelly doesn't want you here." Jacob stares at them for a moment, nods his head with his lips pressed tightly together, and then leaves.

The entire ward is silent, all eyes on them, but Nelly couldn't care less. She starts sobbing and pulls her knees to her chest, hiding her face so no one has to see her crying. Her dad pats her leg sympathetically and the rest of their time is spent in silence.