Chapter Fifteen

A/N: Eeeeeeeeeyyyyyy, I'm back. The inspiration was just flooding over me today. Gosh, I like this chapter. Hope you like it too =)

-xoxo, Sophia

...°...

The sun has set. It has been a while since Dominic left me to confuse myself further, by asking non-answered questions to myself about Hunter's blurry past. I'm sat at the window still, focusing hard on the snowy landscape to keep myself from diving even more into uncertainty. It's an excruciating uncertainty that I feel, one that makes me doubt one of the people whom I trust the most, one that eats at my mind and replaces it with terrifying possibilities of the man that I thought I knew, only known by Dominic as the Torturer. Because what do I really know about Hunter?

My golden eyes stare at the falling snow that paints the evening sky with glistening, white snowflakes against a charcoal background. The window panes are open wide by my sides, and I'm cross-legged on the still, so close to the edge that I could just lean over and fall if I wanted to. The cold, winter breeze hums around my face, letting wisps of untamed blonde strands that have fallen from my ponytail elevate and fall in the air. I bring my bottom lip between my teeth pensively, contemplating the mess we've gotten ourselves into.

The mess I've gotten us into.

Because all of this would've never happened if I hadn't been so damn weird.

Come on. Mind reading? Really?

'But then you wouldn't have met Jay,' a wise voice reasons in the back of my mind. 'Or Hunter,' another one ads. I groan in frustration and pull at a loose strand of my hair. Exasperation fills my every fibre, but then, it's quickly replaced by blinding rage. I slide off of the window still and slam the panes shut, so that an actual crack creeps up the glass like a taunting reminder of my inability to control myself. This only angers me further. I grab the nearest, fragile thing that I can find and haul it at the wall. The once delicate flower vase crashes against the wooden panel in a million fragments.

How many vases has Julia put up?

"Well, this is interesting."

I turn my head towards the bedroom door to find Alice leaning against the frame, staring at me. I curl and uncurl my fists several times before I can finally feel the rage seeping out of me, little by little, like hot lava leaving my boiling veins. "Sorry..." I mutter, before feeling the freezing tears bottling up at the corners of my eyes.

"Oh honey..." Alice whispers, uncrossing her arms and joining me quickly. She then wraps her arms around my shaking figure, and I let the tears wet the wool of her jumper. "You're okay, Em. Everything's going to be fine. We'll get through this."

"B-but will we?" I hiccup through the tears, letting her uncoil the ponytail from its band and smoothing my hair down soothingly, just like she'd done when I was little. In this moment I'm taken back to my childhood, when I would cry after the voices became to much one day at school and she would hold me, just like this. I cry for the normal future that we will never have. I cry for being the one to have taken a chance of normalcy away from her. Having obstructed her from having a choice. "I'm sorry, Al." I whisper, salty tears gathering at the corners of my quivering lips. "I did this to us."

"I'm happy that you're you, Em." She startles me by saying, pulling back slightly and taking my face between her hands, looking at me intently with eyes full of sadness, but also hope. "If you weren't this immensely weird sister whom I love, I would have never met Chase."

"But you don't have a future with him." Just as the words leave my mouth, I instantly regret them. Her face crumbles and a shadow creeps behind her eyes, but she quickly covers it up by smiling at me sadly. However, she doesn't say anything. Instead, she merely turns around and walks over to the place of destruction, crouching down by the wall and reaching for the broken glass. "I'm sorry." I quickly add, and the guilt gnaws at me further when she just shakes her head at me with a small smile. It's a broken smile. But still, she stays silent.