Chapter Eighteen

A/N: Double update for the first time! Yaaaaay! Merry Christmas =)

-xoxo, Sophia

...•...

Behind me my friends land on their feet from the gap in the loft. Chase and Alice are nowhere to be seen, thank God. Dominic comes to stand on my right side, and I feel Hunter's cold hand lightly brush against mine as he stills on my left. I grip the hunter's dagger tighter and feel a wave of satisfaction fill me when the Elites' leader stills with shock. His eyes sweep over Dominic and his jaw locks. "I didn't know that an Elder was involved," he simply says, and I can see his fellow vampire comrades freeze behind him. Out of the corner of my eye, I notice one of them slipping away discreetly. I quickly forget it when a voice breaks through the thick silence.

"Surprise, surprise," Dominic mocks, taking a threatening step towards them. "I'm really not happy with you and your people attacking for the second time. And really, breaking down a door? Come on now, that's just unoriginal."

I hear Hunter scoff beside me.

The Elite leader ignores him with narrowed eyes and then turns them towards me. "My name is Marcus."

"And I don't care." I reply stiffly. Dominic makes a big show of clapping loudly next to me. Marcus' eyes blaze alive with red flames and he takes a step towards me. Hunter meets him head on.

"Well, I'm just trying to be civilised here," Marcus steps back and I feel Hunter's tension relax somewhat. "I'm giving you an option to hand yourself over without the need for a bloodbath and unnecessary-"

"That's simply not going to happen... what was your name again?" Dominic cuts him off, and Marcus opens his mouth to speak. "No wait, I don't care either." The leader's mouth forms into a blood-thirsty snarl with elongated razor blades at both sides. Dominic looks past all that and continues, "No, you see, I have a plan which involves this darling over here," he nods towards me before going on, "and that wouldn't really work if she wasn't here with me, now would it?"

"I'm giving you an option," Marcus throws back coldly, not paying attention to the Elder's words. Behind him, his vampires stiffen with the unavoidable anticipation for blood-spilling. "Hand yourself over, and no one will die."

"Who do you work for?" I ask abruptly, and Hunter slowly directs his eyes towards me with the brim of annoyance in them. Marcus looks slightly taken aback, but then he slips right back into his cold shield.

"The Elites don't work for anyone. Now, I'll be happy to answer any questions, once you've handed yourself over."

"Who sent you?" I reply back, feeling question after question entering my mind. Then, Marcus takes a step towards me. My grip around the dagger tightens, and his eyes catch the gesture. He smiles wickedly and cocks his head to the side. "Jay asked me to say hi."

Silence descends on me and my heart falls to the pit of my stomach. Jay. "He's also the reason that we're here," Marcus continues, enjoying the torment currently unfolding inside of me. Hunter has completely stiffened beside me and has a snarl directed at the Elites. Dominic simply crosses his arms and looks mildly interested. "You're the special delivery."

I throw the dagger.

It catches everyone by complete surprise when it etches itself right into Marcus' heart. His smile falls and he looks down as everyone gasps. There, the dagger spills its deadly venom into his veins. In seconds he explodes into a pile of gore and blood. The remaining Elites lift their heads towards us, all eyes wide with shock, but then they fill with lava-red instead, threatening to boil over the brim. I walk calmly over to where the dagger lays in the remnants of the exploded body and pick it up, examining it tauntingly. Then, I flash canines at the blood-thirsty vampires and my golden eyes narrow. "I'm not going anywhere."