Episode 3

Episode 3

He asked the driver to drive as fast as he could while keeping his eyes on his wristwatch. Although he was angry at his mother for saying such harsh words to his subordinate, he was scared of his mother nonetheless. Deep down, he knew if he didn't show up at his home within an hour, his mother would do what she had told – she wouldn't let him enter the home for an entire week. If he didn't mind staying at a hotel as much as he did, it wouldn't have been a problem. But he was never very fond of the idea of staying at a hotel, even if it was his own hotel, without his stuff or without any prior information or preparation, that too for a whole week.

If he knew his mother any better, she wouldn't let him stay at any of their hotels. What's more, she wouldn't let him or any of his subordinates fetch any of his belongings from the home. She wouldn't let his hotel stay be a comfortable or pleasant one. Let's just say, his mother knew how to control and punish everyone around her but she wasn't a manipulative bitch. She just preferred to keep things and people in perfect order even if it means punishing or threatening her own kids sometimes. In her eyes, everyone deserves equality and respect and these are the qualities she values the most.

With the driver's superfast driving speed, they managed to cover an hour-long distance in just thirty-five minutes. Glancing at his watch, he exhaled in relief as his car came to a halt in the portico. Straightening his suit, he got down the car and walked inside the mansion in anger. 

Entering the living hall, he saw his relatives were there along with his parents. 

One of his cousins spotted him and teased, "Everyone, see who decided to show his handsome face at last!" 

At this comment, everyone turned to look at him. 

"So, finally you got time to return home??" a loud, sarcastic voice boomed from the crowd.

The voice came from the centre of the hall.

He turned towards that person and as expected, found his mother, Mrs Aatmika Raichand, Director General of RAICHAND Group Of Hotels and Owner of Raichand Villa, standing in the centre of the living hall. With her eyebrows quirked upwards, and her hands folded across her chest, she looked pretty intimidating.

"What took you so long?" she inquired, in a straight voice as she stared at him.

But instead of answering her, he stood silently. He too folded his hands across his chest and matched her heated gaze with his own.

"Are you going to give me any explanation or justify why the hell are you coming back home this late?" she reiterated, her voice stern.

He frowned seeing his mother like that. She was being rude to him in front of all the relatives. This wasn't her nature. And it's not like it was the first time that he stayed till late in the office, he had done that many times in the past. Sometimes, he would even sleep in the office. Then why was she overreacting today? It didn't make any sense to him.

Unfolding his hands, he went to his mother. "I had an important meeting to attend, maa! And you know that my work is always my priority," he explained to his mother.

"Did that meeting require you to personally go there? Couldn't Mihir or Malini handle the meeting?" Aatmika questioned him.

"I wouldn't have gone if Malini or Mihir could handle it. My presence was needed as we had to sign the contract. Moreover, I personally had to look after everything from the presentation to the contract papers," he reasoned with his mother. "You know, I can't compromise with my work," he added further.

Aatmika's expressions changed after hearing her son's words. Her temper flared at his lousy explanation.

"And what about your marriage? Or rather the girl you just got married to?? Is she not important to you? Does this marriage mean nothing to you?? You can't compromise with your work but you can compromise with your marriage, is that so?" asked his mother in a high-pitched voice.