Moonlight Memories

You and Newt had been working together for months, searching for a new sub-specie of erumpent. You had always been fascinated by magical creatures, and he seemed like the most qualified person to learn from. He was a shy man, hardly making eye contact most days, but he was great at conversation. He could go on for hours about his creatures, or different potions he had whipped up recently.

The excitement in his eyes when he got going was your favorite thing to watch, besides when he was engrossed in his work. Something about how focused he would get, with his long messy red hair in his eyes and several mystery smudges along his cheek bone and the brudge of his nose. Watching him work always made your heart flutter.

One day, you were walking down to the lake to check up on his new kelpie. She was found along the coast of Ireland, having immense difficulty with her labor. Newt had somehow managed to convince her to let him help, although he didn’t walk away without a few new scratches.

She seemed to be calm around you, letting you care for her babies without too much hassle. Sometimes you would visit her just for someone to talk to, when she would float along the surface and it seemed like she really listened. You were having a particularly rough day and needed a little time away from Newt, the source of your troubles.

You sat on the edge of a small dock, swishing your hand lazily along the surface, with the kelpie occasionally swimming up and getting herself a few strokes along her head. What you hadn’t noticed was Newt, emerging over the hill to check on the kelpie. He spotted you chatting with her, and, figuring you had everything taken care of, was about to walk away when he noticed something.

The way the simulated moonlight shined down on your hair. He stood there for a good minute before gathering his wits and turning to leave. Before he did, he took one last glance back at you, and smiled a little to himself. Maybe, just maybe, some people weren’t as bad as he thought.