Don't you Dare pt. 2/2

This was it. The day you had finally gotten engaged. It took him two years to do it, but you were finally set to marry the love of your life. And you couldn't be happier...

Jack had surprised you with a large party, inviting everyone you knew. At first you thought it was just a booze party, until he pulled you up in front of everyone. He gave such a romantic speech, bringing your mother to tears of course. Then he bent down and pulled out a brand new diamond engagement ring.

~~~
You had been wandering around for about an hour now, greeting and thanking various guests, when you noticed your best friend sitting alone looking rather upset, and slightly tipsy.

"Newt, are you alright?" You wander over to him, pulling up a chair. He looks up slowly, giving you a half-hearted smile. "Of course, everything is fine. Congrats," he slurred, raising a fist in the air in mock triumph.

"Newt, what's wrong? I know you're upset about something. Just tell me, I'm your best friend," you try to comfort him, putting your hand on his wrist. He looks down at your hand for a second, seeming to think it over. "Best friends. Yup, nothing better than that," he mumbles sarcastically, yanking his arm away.

"What is your problem?!" You yell angrily. This is your night, and the person you most wanted to be happy for you was the one ruining it. You grab his arm and pull him back towards you, giving him a glare. He looks down at you for a second before grabbing your wrist and leading you to a back room.

He let your arm go and casts a muffling spell before just standing there, staring at you. "What?! You better have some sort of explanation for this! What has gotten into you?!" You huff, irritated at your best friend.

"I just don't understand! Jack is the complete opposite of what you like. He is the embodiment of every guy you turned down at Hogwarts! We used to laugh when they did dumb stuff to try to impress you, so why all of a sudden are you going to MARRY one?!" He exclaims, staring at you with that scrunched up face of confusion he often wore in school.

The memory of school with Newt brought back old pain pushed aside. You cross your arms in annoyance. "You don't even know him!" He looked unsure of what to say next, opening his mouth and closing it a few times.

"You can't marry him, ok? He's all wrong for you! You're the girl who dates tall sensitive guys, because they don't act like jerks and they know what to say when you're upset! I know how you feel about guys like Jack! This just- it makes no sense!" He explodes, hysteria radiating off of him.

"What, like you?! You think I should date guys like you?" You ask, overwhelmed at the thought of what he was implying. He looked up, right into your eyes as you continued, "Well guess what, guys like you break my heart! They draw you in, and make you feel like the only woman that matters, and-and then they betray you! They do something stupid and leave you! Because they don't love you! Not really! So don't you dare tell me you love me!" You scream, tears racing down your reddening face.

During your whole rant Newt had realized something horrifying. You were talking about him. Somewhere along the way he had broken your heart, and he wasn't sure it wasn't too late to fix it...

Suddenly, yet slowly and gently, Newt wrapped his slender arms around your broken frame. You were too exhausted to pull away, so you let your best friend comfort you. You had finally told him how you felt, and now you simply felt... empty.

You cried in his chest for what felt like a lifetime before pulling away. "Tell me how I hurt you. Let me fix it," He murmured in your ear. Being this close to him was a relief. It was like coming home after years away.