Sickness

You paced through the living room of the tiny London apartment you share with Newt. Not feeling well that day, your usual causal yet stylish wardrobe had been replaced with one of Newts shirts (far too big for you, despite his slim build), and a pair of underwear. Who has time for pants while they feel sick?

You plop down on the large, overly cushioned gray loveseat and snuggle into a matching throw blanket. Pulling out the romance novel you had been reading lately, you settle down to wait for your husband. Two hours later, he comes bumbling into the house with a million things in his arms.

He drops them on the table at the entrance and plops down beside you with a small, worn smile. You pick up one end of the blanket, ushering him to join you under the comforting warmth. He snuggles into your chest, and you absent-mindedly twist his curls around your fingers.

As you both lay there contentedly, you debate on telling him what you had found out earlier that day. All ideas against the notion were pushed aside when Newt, sensing your unease, asked you what was on your mind. “Well dear, I haven’t been feeling well lately. I thought it to be the flu, so I went to get medicine on my lunch break,” you started, unsure of what his reaction would be.

He nods seriously, waiting for you to finish. “And while I was at the doctors office, they ran a few tests on me, just to be sure…. and, they found something,” you informed him. His face dropped almost imperceptibly, trying to hide his worry.

“Darling… whatever it is, I’m sure you’re going to be fine. We- we’ll get you treatment, we’ll get you whatever help you need, and I- I’ll be there EVERY step of the way, and… and…“ he trailed off, starting to tear up. He was afraid that if he spoke any longer he would break down, and he knew he had to be strong for you.

You smiled at him comfortingly, and ran your fingers through his unruly hair. “Newt,” you whisper softly, placing your hands on the side of his face. “I’m pregnant.”

He looks up at you with a shocked expression, taking a moment to process what you had told him. After a few moments he looks down towards your tummy, giving it a small smile, as you watch a single tear roll down his cheek.