one

KIM

Shuffling from room to room, I try to remember there's no reason to be nervous. I try to concentrate instead on gathering the things I needed for the weekend, saying more goodbyes to my parents. But then the crazy thought keeps popping up in my head: I'm meeting Sky. I'm meeting Skyler Mae.

It's one thing saying you're going to eventually meet your bestfriend. It's an entirely different thing when that day actually comes. For years we have talked, texted, wrote stories together, been best friends. And now we're spending the week together.

All of my sweaters are stuffed into my suitcase; I had hoped for a warmer weekend in Jerome but as Christmas drew closer, the skies grew darker and the cold set in. It didn't matter. Instead of basking in the sun, we would drink hot chocolate, stay cozy inside. We would get to enjoy each other's company, a privilege we've never had before.

My eyes wander back towards the clock, watching the second hand slowly tick. Sky would be arriving any minute now. Quickly, before I forget, I grab a couple of my favorite books, stuffing them into my bag. For a moment I hesitate before finally grabbing a third book for Sky.

The sound of a car engine can be heard just outside of my house, and my heart jumps in my chest. A quick peek outside my window proves my suspicion. It's a small, ratty blue car and in it's driver's seat is a small girl with a big smile. I had seen Skyler's face plenty of times over Skype but now here she was in the flesh.

I jump around my room, grabbing all of my stuff before hurrying to my parents, giving them goodbye hugs (how I convinced them to let me go on this trip, I'll never know).

When I step outside, pulling my case behind me, Sky steps out of the car, looking even smaller than I expected. She wrings her hands in front of her, smiles nervously, and steps up a bit closer.

"Hey!" I exclaim, smiling, trying to act normal.

"Hi!" Suddenly, bony arms are wrapped awkwardly around me, pulling me in for a hug. It takes me a second to realize what happened; trying to keep up, I wrap my free arm around her. Stepping back, Sky lowers her arms before sheepishly saying, "Sorry. I spent the whole drive wondering how I should greet you. Do I hug you, do I not hug you?" Holding both up, she pretends to weigh the options. "I decided to just go for."

I laugh and am a bit surprised at how natural it was. Okay, we got off to a rocky start, sure, but this was Sky. This was the girl who I talked to everyday. Ease started settle in as she joked, the familiarity returning.

"So you are the famous Sky," my mom said, in the background. I turned to look at her. I hadn't even noticed her come after me. I smiled at her nervously, hoping she wouldn't question Sky about her life.

"Hi," Sky said. She extended her hand out and they shook hands. "Nice to meet you."

"We are almost the same height," my mom said. I shrunk. Thanks, mom. Sky nodded her head, her eyes looking at mine. "Well, have a safe trip."

"I'll call you when we get there," I promised. I gave her one last tight hug and kiss on the cheek and brought the suitcase along with me. Sky opened up the trunk and I put the suitcase inside. I closed the trunk and walked to the passenger side.

"I'll pick the music?" She said. But it sounded like a question.

"Driver picks the music, rider shuts his cakehole."

Sky snorted at that and connected her phone to the car. "Two hours, Kim. You finally get to experience the magic of Taylor Swift."

"Okay, but, I haven't really tried The Rolling Stones either. So how about that?"