three

KIM

Everything was fuzzy. There was a dull ache in my head, pounding away behind my eyes. My shoulders were cramping, and I realized with horror my arms were twisted behind my back. Swallowing thickly, I realized how dry my mouth was.

I begun to panic as I heard her. Was it Sky? She was crying; it sounded scratchy, horrifying, unlike anything I'd heard before. Something was terribly wrong and I had no idea what. I inhaled big gulps of air, trying not to throw up from the knot in my stomach.

Grunting, I shifted my body, trying to get to a more comfortable position, but my arms wouldn't move more than a few inches. Rope rubbed against my wrists, burning them raw but I fought against the pain. Finally, I opened my eyes to the darkness.

"Kim," she moaned, her breath hitching. And then she fell into another fit of sobs, making my heart drop in fear. My eyes searched through the pitch black, trying to adjust, trying to seek her out.

"Sky. What are you doing? Where are we?" My voice raised in alarm, trying to make sense of what was happening, waiting for Sky to explain things to me like she usually did. Of course, there had to be a reasonable explanation. Any explanation besides the one I was starting to imagine. Because I was tied up, unable to move, in some dark, grimy place. And everything seemed grim.

This had to be some sort of nightmare.

"Shh!" Sky hissed. "Kim, you have to be quiet." Slowly, blurry images started to form in front of me. Just a couple feet away, huddled a small form, bent knees pulled up, frail arms wrapped around them. Sky scooted closer towards me and the sound of clattering chains filled the air.

When she grew close enough, her soft and thin hand wrapped around mine. "I don't know what happened," she told me, her shaking voice deepening. "I woke up when he was putting these on me." She shook her foot, displaying the metal clasp wrapped around it. "I was too afraid to fight back."

I fell apart. Wrapping an arm around Skyler's shoulders, I just cried. We held onto each other, the only comfort we had. And I couldn't help but wonder if we would even make it out of this alive. We had to; death wasn't even an option. We were young! We hadn't even finished college. Or had kids. Or gotten married. We could go out like that, without accomplishing more. But my stomach churned, and my heart was full of dread.

What hope did we have?

I tried to get my eyes to adjust more to the darkness. I blinked and blinked, which helped the tears that were threatening to spill from my eyes. I didn't want to cry anymore, crying wasn't going to solve anything, it wasn't going to get us out of the situation we were in. I searched my head for everything I had ever read about escaping in a situation like this. But there was nothing.

I had read on how to avoid such a thing. But not how to get out of it. In situations like that, whoever was kidnapped was screwed. I thought of home and my parents, comfortably sleeping back home in a warm room, blankets wrapped around them. They would come search for me if I didn't answer the phone, right?

I begun to miss the things I took for granted. My bed. My room. Why did I think this was a good idea? Why did I think there would be no consequence to being out in the real world and pretending to be a real grown up?

"Stop thinking," Sky nudged my shoulder, her hand warm. Instead of holding each other like we had moments before, Sky gently smacked my cheek. "We are going to get out of this. I still need to graduate from college." Though she had been crying before, she seemed to have found her courage. We both did; we gave each other strength. "I still need to have babies. We aren't going to go like this, Kim."

Our voices made him come.

Our voices, though low in the darkness was more noise than had existed before I woke up.

A door creaked open. Some light spilled in, though not enough for me to see well enough to see around the room. His footsteps were heavy, making the floors creak and cry with every step. I tried to get my breathing to normal. I tried to pretend like I wasn't in control and wasn't about to piss myself.

I reached for Sky's other hand in the darkness, holding on to her as support.

He grunted. Something clattered to the floor and my eyes moved to the direction of the floor. He didn't stop to pick it up. He kept walking, taking his sweet time, as though he wanted to enjoy every moment of it. His figure materialized in the darkness and I could see an outline, his big disgusting arms that would knock me down if I tried to escape.

He was taller than me. He could catch me if I ran.

He stooped down to eye level, softly caressing a strand of Sky's hair and tucking it behind her ear. With a low and gruff voice, he spoke. "Who wants to go first?"

He looked at me. He looked at Sky, waiting for either of us to volunteer. I didn't single her out, didn't give her as bait for him to take. If anything, I was about to volunteer. At least this way, I didn't have to see her die first.

At least that way, I'd save myself that pain.

He looked down at our linked arms and laughed. "Ah, friends, I see," he said. He hit our arms, unclasping them, taking the last thing we had left that brought us a bit of comfort. Sky began to shake. I closed my eyes and felt the needle go inside my skin.

My veins coursed with something cold. And the world turned blurry again.