epilogue

SKY

Sunlight filtered through the small window, burning my aching eyes. I had been up for a couple of hours already, just sitting against the cold brick walls, but everything still hurt. Never. Drinking. Again.

Kim was still passed out on the small cot, but her eyelids began to flutter. Finally, I thought. I hated sitting awake all alone.

But she didn't peacefully wake up from her sleep. No, she jumped, lurching up into a sitting position, hands thrusting out to grab onto something. Her face was pinched in fear, as she looked around in the unfamiliar cell.

"Kim!" I exclaimed. "Are you okay?" My heart felt heavy with guilt. It was my fault we were stuck in the cell. I was the one who insisted on drinking. We could be waking up in a nice hotel room, but no, we had to spend the night in jail.

"What happened?" She groaned, rubbing at our eyes. "Ugh, man. I had the worst nightmare."

"Apparently we got booked for public drunkenness or somethin'," I muttered. I brought a hand up to feel the tender spot on the back of my head. We were in the old, falling apart house. By the cheap bandage on my head, I could imagine what had happened. I get struck by falling debris, Kim freaks, gets help, and we're caught drunk and trespassing.

While I mulled over the events of the previous night, I looked at Kim, noticed her heavy breathing and pale face. "What did you dream about?" I asked curiously. I could tell it must have been pretty bad. Kim looked shaken.

"It was me and you and John." Blinking, she observed her surroundings more closely, face falling as she realized. "Are we in jail?" As soon as the words left her mouth, a man in a little blue suit stepped up to the bar gate, keys jangling as he unlocked the cell door.

"Ladies, are you sober enough to fill this out?" An officer asked. Kim stood up from her spot on the cot and reached out to take the paperwork and a pen. She thanked the officer and went back to her seat.

"Ohmygod, ohmygod, ohmygod. Who should I call?"

"Your parents?" I hesitantly offered.

"What?" She burst into laughter, shaking her head. Running her hand through her hair, she began to pace. "My parents are going to kill me. It was nice meeting you before I died."

"Kim, there has to be someone else you can call," I said. Kim seemed to consider my words, stopping her pacing and taking a seat. She nodded her head and filled out the paperwork. A few minutes later, the same officer came to collect the paperwork.

It was an endlessly boring hour before someone came near the officer's desk. Kim got up from her seat while I sat as I didn't know who the man talking to the officer was. The officer nodded his head and a moment later, walked with the man towards cell.

"You ladies are free to go, you can go head and step out while I get your stuff," he said. He opened the cell and we stepped out. Kim awkwardly hugged the man in front of her.

"Sky, this is my brother," she said. I stuck out my hand and he shook it. While we waited for the officer to come back, I tried to steal a look at Kim's brother, trying to spot their similarities and differences. There was more differences than similarities, I realized. His lips were full and Kim's weren't, his cheek also a natural blush to them that Kim's didn't.

"I won't tell them, don't worry," he said, laughing.

Kim let out a loud sigh. "I will owe you one."

"Here you go ladies. Two keycards, two phones, and some change," the officer said. I took my phone, trying the battery but it was dead. Kim took her things and the three of us left the police station.

"Where are we?" I asked.

"I think we're in the next town over," Kim replied. We followed Kim's brother towards the parking lot where we got in his truck. I shivered as the heater started its job and the car started its way up the hill that lead to Jerome.

"Kim, what did you say your nightmare was about again?" I asked. She had said it involved the two of us and John. But there had to be more to it. Kim had woken up terrified.

"Like I said, it had me and John in it."

"That doesn't sound like a nightmare," I replied. Kim snorted from her seat on the passanger side and stared ahead at the icy road.