Green Lake Times

This is a newspaper report I wrote in English on the book 'Holes'. I got a pretty good mark on it. Anyway, read and enjoy

Abz xxx      

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------          

                                                                            Green Lake Times

Friday 13th May 1888,

                                               Green Lake Murder....The War Of The Races

On Thursday a series of events occurred involving our very own teacher Katherine Barlow and our onion man Sam. It started two days ago on Wednesday night when Hattie Parker witnessed Kate and Sam sharing a kiss and soon enough news spread around the town of Green Lake. As we all know it is against the law for a negro to kiss a white person and according to Hattie Parker, Sam initiated the kiss, causing an outburst with the people of Green Lake; riots started and parents   refused to send their children to school. Now we had a talk with Ms.Parker and asked her why she felt the need to inform everyone  of what she saw and she said “I think the town deserves to know what their precious teacher, Katherine has been up to since they all seem to worship her.” I would say she was jealous of Kate but she says otherwise.Kate’s school was set on fire yesterday; by a group led by Trout Walker, after escaping from the school, Kate went to see the sheriff to which she found him to be drunk, after saying so the sheriff told her he always gets drunk before a hanging. Kate then went to find Sam so she could warn him; after finding Sam both him and Kate tried to run away in his boat but were caught.Trout Walker’ boat crashed into the side of Sam’ boat and Sam was shot; despite her protests Kate was rescued and needing someone to pay for killing Sam; Kate went and shot the sheriff. According to one of the prisoners Kate came into the station and asked the sheriff if he still ‘wanted that kiss’, he smiled at her and then Kate shot him and kissed his forehead. Kate was seen riding out of Green Lake after the incident.