One

KARA

Well, this has turned my world upside down. I should be in Australia, with my friends. My mum making sarcastic comments and my dad joking around.

But instead I'm on a plane to America, after I found out I was adopted and was given the choice to stay with the people I've known my whole life who lied to me when I asked if I was adopted or to strangers who are related to me and haven't even had the chance to lie to me. I thought what the hell. Might as well live with them, anyway you always wanted to live in America. I'm going to live in a place near Charleston in South Carolina.

We still have about nine hours of flight left and I take out the letter I have been reading over and over again. It was addressed to me and had the plane ticket in there ready for me to be with my 'real family'. It's written by my father. It was his exact words. 'real family'. What? Was my family a bunch of magical rainbow unicorns that shit rainbows and fucking sunshine?

I look at the picture of my 'real family'. My summary so far of our happy little family:

Mum ran off because she found someone else. She must have had a good reason, everyone does. Dad is away most of the time because he flies fucking helicopters around Florida and all that shit. But dearest brother is at home all the time and goes to a fancy panty academy but is on an exchange program with his friends at a normal high school.

I put the letter back and take out my book. Ah, my love of books is insurmountable

Kara

I must have drifted off reading because a flight attendant is waking me up. I make zombie-ish noises reluctant for the day to start as always. "Too early. Argh." She chuckle: and shakes me softly. I sit up and smile weakly. Oh, god. Today I meet Nathan and possibly my father. What if they don't like me?

"You have to put your belt on, Sweetie. We're landing." She says sweetly. I nod and do it up. She walks away and I feel the plane dip a bit. The worst parts of flying: taking off and landing.

"Welcome to Charleston International Airport. We hope you had a good flight. Please wait until the flight attendants open the doors to leave. Please leave in an orderly fashion. It is 80.6 degrees Fahrenheit in Charleston today. Please have a good day. Thank you for flying with Qantas." The doors are open by now and I stand up and sling my bag over my shoulder.

I walk down the aisle and through the terminal muttering apologies to people as I go past. I scan the waiting bay and see a red haired teenage boy whose name I believe is Nathan Griffin.

I walk up to him and observe that he is with eight boys and a beautiful blonde girl. They are all attractive but not my type. They're all strong and have an aura of confidence about them.

Nathan has a muscular build and rusty looking hair. One of his friends has dark brown hair and a murderous glare. Another looks to be a very tall... Greek? Another is a guy who looks like he has a stick up his ass. Another has glasses and a very Clark Kent look. One has a very pop punk look to him with his piercings and dyed sections of hair. Another has long blonde hair in a ponytail which I feel the urge to chop off. One has expensive looking clothes and light brown hair. The last boy has blonde hair and an easygoing grin.

The girl studies me with curious green eyes that look too big for her face. Aw. She's cute. She reminds me of Rupunzel from Tangled.

Nathan walks up to me and says, "I'm Nathan. Are you Kara? My sister?"

"What do you think? We look pretty much the same. But no. I'm not your sister."