Chapter 1

Jon POV

I let my leg bounce nervously while I waited on the couch for my friend to show up.  I knew I should be getting more comfortable with Thomas, especially since he was one of the sweetest people around, but I couldn't help it.  Side effect of social anxiety, I guess.

"Jon?" Said a warm voice. A familiar voice. 

I looked up to see Thomas standing in front of me, and the coffee shop rushed back into focus. "hey!"  I clumsily stood up to wrap him in a nervous hug.  I heard his soft laughter in my ear.

"How've you been?" Thomas asked, sitting across from me. 

"Not too bad.  Been busy with school.  How's it feel now that vine is shutting down?" I grinned, relaxing now that Thomas was sitting right there and was looking at me with eyes that never judged.

"Ugh, don't remind me.  It's a nightmare."

"This year is a nightmare," I responded dryly.

"Hey, don't say that! Some amazing things happened this year," Thomas scolded gently, still giving his trademark encouraging smile.

"Yeah, uh huh.  Sometimes, Thomas, you are a bit too positive."

Thomas's face fell a bit.  That was a bit low.  Shoot.  "Hey, it was a joke.  Wanna head back to mine?  I just made cookies.  And I set up Toy Story to watch."

Thomas smiled a bit again. Absolutely precious.  "I'd love to.  If that's okay.  I wouldn't want to impose."

"You're just fine Thomas.  I missed you, buddy," I said, standing up with him and throwing an arm over his shoulder.  He leaned his head on my shoulder almost automatically.

He hummed.  "I missed you too."