Chapter 7

A/N: Not sure if everyone will hate me for this, but Imma jus do it anyway I guess.

*Jon's POV*

I fumble with my key, the unshed tears in my eyes making it hard to see the door to my apartment. I draw a shaky breath and lean my head against the door. How could I have been so stupid? To just kiss one of my best friends like that?

Just because he's gay doesn't mean he could ever be into someone like you. You absolute idiot. I open the door and head right to bed. No need to see Thomas's pitying face again tonight. The look of his guilty, beautiful eyes apologizing for something that wasn't his fault was burned into my mind.

***

A tap at my door woke me from another nightmare, Thomas laughing as he rejected me. Always fun.

"Jon?" Came a timid voice from the other side of the door.

I froze. If I was absolutely silent, he would go away. And I could ignore this for a little longer.

But the voice came again. "Jon? Are you awake?"

When I said nothing, clenching my fists in my covers in an effort to not make any noise, the door handle started to move. I quickly dropped my head to the pillow and pretended to take deep breaths.

I heard Thomas's feet quietly cross the floor to my bed, then stop in front of me. A slight weight bent my mattress where he must have sat, only inches from my tense body. He was silent for a second, and my stomach flipped and made me queasy.

Just when I thought this was my own personal brand of torture, he spoke. "I really am sorry, Jon. You know, you're the prettiest person I know. I just, dunno how to deal with all this. I'm.. I'm... I, am aromantic? Or asexual? I'm not sure. I'm still figuring it out. I just.. I really really like you. And I don't want to lose you. So I'd like to try? To go on a date or something. But I'll probably mess it up and I don't want you to be sad Jon I'm so sorry." The words came out jumbled and scared, Washing over Jon in waves of disbelief.

This, Jon could work with. Figuring out what Thomas was comfortable with in a relationship was easy. But Thomas.. liked him. He really liked him!! It made no sense to the nerdy little ukulele player, but he fell back asleep with a smile on his face.

***

When the sun finally forced him out of the safety of his room, a sleepy Jon made his way down the hallway without thinking.

He froze suddenly, remembering everything as he faced Thomas eating cereal in the kitchen, his eyes wide and nervous at the sight of Jon.

Stuttering, Jon forced himself to say what he needed to before he chickened out and overthought it. "Will you-just-please want to go on a date?" The words were desperate and awkward, but earnest. And the smile on Thomas's face was enough to wash away any trace of embarrassment Jon had from the night before.