CHAPTER ONE: NEVER SAY DIE, UP MAN AND TRY

Adam sighed as he heard the dead line at the other end of the phone. Again. He was starting to get tired of his … situation now. At first when Rhea had ignored his feelings, he had not minded thinking that when he showed her that how sincere he was, she would finally give in.

However, he had never thought that it would become such a challenge for him to conquer his love and suddenly the great Adam Devin Crighton felt himself feeling insecure. How to convince someone about your love if the latter had been refusing any of your advances for the past two years??

Today was exactly two years since he had realized that he loved his best friend Rhea Palmer. It had been on her eighteenth birthday that he had decided to tell her about the unexplainable attraction he had been harboring for her. He could still remember the day as clearly as if it were yesterday itself.

He had known Rhea since forever as they had lived near and attended the same school. Moreover, his father Jake Crighton, one of the most influential businessman in town, was the best friend of Rhea’s father Slade Palmer. They were practically family. And so he had been invited over for her birthday party which had not been hosted by Uncle Slade but by Uncle Ashton Cooper another best friend of his father.

When he had caught sight of her dressed in a forest green dress, his twenty three years old heart had skipped a beat but he had made nothing of it. Rhea Palmer had been a beauty even in her teens and every living guy in high school had admired her. Now that she was in college, she was even more popular and it was not surprising that he was attracted to her. But when other guys had started to flirt with her during the party, he had felt his male instincts kick in.

It had to mean something; the raw jealousy eating him up, the growing disinterest for the other girls and the desire he felt for her every time she was around. Like he was feeling now as he stared broodingly in her direction with that arrogant Halter stuck to her like glue. Walton Halter had a severe crush on Rhea but he was an arrogant good for nothing idiot.

As if reading his mind, Rhea had stared in his direction waving at him to join them but he had stayed aloof not wanting to witness the poaching from close. Not satisfied, she had approached him dazzling him with her smile and that was when he had decided to confront her and had practically dragged her to a private place.

“Adam! What are you doing?” she had uttered trying to shake off his hold on her elbows and had looked at him with a question in her beautiful eyes.

“We need to talk,” he had said seriously.

In defiance, she had folded her arms around her breasts and his groin had hardened at the sight. It was happening too often now whenever he was around her. Especially since he had come back from his trip to England after having completed his degree. It was starting to get on his nerves as he was not used to have such intense feelings for one particular girl. He liked his girlfriends to be numerous but recently there had been only Rhea on his mind.

Was it lust which had been driving such intense feelings in him? He had no idea. All he knew was that Rhea was the reason he was sleepless at nights having sinful thoughts about her lovely eyes, her endless legs and her long auburn hair. And it was pissing the hell out of him.

For several weeks, he still could not make out whether it was desire or love he felt for her. It could not be love, he had managed to convince himself. And that had been his fatal mistake. Instead of waiting to confirm his feelings for her, he had immaturely rushed to declare the carnal feelings he had felt for her at that time.

“I want you,” he had said without beating around the bush.

“Huh?” Rhea had looked up at him frowning in puzzlement. “You what?” she had asked clearly not expecting that kind of confession from him.