CHPATER TWELVE: DESPERATE SITUATIONS, DESPERATE MEASURES

Rhea stood listening to the conversation inside the room and could not budge as shock registered through her. Traitors. That was the first thing which came to her mind. They were all conspiring against her. And she felt rage course through her as she clenched her fists into two rigid balls.

Too numb to react, she felt like she was an automatic mode when she turned back from the room and stealthily got out of the house. While she walked down the alley, she refused to think about anything before finding the sanctuary of her home again.

When she did in a few seconds and the first thing she did was to bolt the door behind her and leant against the wooden object glad of the dull comfort it was offering. Her body felt limp and she sunk at the bottom unable to bear her own weight as shock still coursed through her. And she finally allowed the earlier events to replay in her head.

Bored out of her mind with her own company, she had decided to join them to see what they were up to. Despite the late hour, she had not hesitated to use her spare key to enter Adam’s house furtively so as not to disturb them in case they were sleeping.

But arriving near Adam’s room, she had heard Zach howling with laughter and Zoey scolding him that it was not funny. But only to have Adam admit that it was quite funny and had suspected they were talking about her. She had stopped outside the door determined to confront them but only to realize that they were actually making fun of her.

Rhea could hardly believe her ears when Zoey admitted her next part of the plan and Adam confessed that she was almost putty in his hands now. So that was what they had been conspiring against her. No wonder her plan had failed so pathetically. Even her best friend Zoey was against her.

Everything would have worked if Zoey had not betrayed her trust like that. She could bet her life that Zoey had shown them the article so that they could anticipate her moves. No wonder Adam had been so patient with her. He already knew of her plan beforehand.

And she had been foolish enough to believe that he could love her that much. It had all been fake. As fake as anything else in her life. She was saved just in time, she realized. She had been ready to give up her plan to be his girlfriend only a few minutes ago. When she had asked him the question about him being obliged to her. She had wanted the assurance that she was not a charity case. That he would have loved her even if her father had not shunned her.

And Adam would have lied to her; just to give her the illusion of being perfect like ha had always done. It was all a big illusion and nothing else. Even the love Adam professed for her was only based on the pity he felt for her. She had known that all along ever since the beginning. But she had started to believe him just because she had wanted someone to love her as much.

But life had taught her better. She knew that kind of love was not for her; she was just a charity case. Someone whose own father hated her so much that he could not bear to even look at her. Someone who had killed her own mother to be able to enter this world.

As pathetic as it sounded, she had always known the truth. It had always been her own fault that her parents had shunned her. No matter how her foster families had tried to cover up for her. Even if she had survived, she had always been very sure that somewhere along the way, life would find a way to snatch what little happiness she had acquired. That was why when she had been welcomed by the other families, she had never been able to give them her heart completely.

And now that she came to think of it, it was a good thing that she had not trusted them completely. Just imagine how much worse it would have been. Even now she felt so…so like her heart was being wrenched out of her chest. And that was only because she had always known that someday, the situation would have gotten like that.