CHAPTER FOUR: STRIKE WHILE THE IRON IS HOT

Damn! And double damn! Rhea stood stunned at his last sentence not knowing what to make out of Adam. He was such a paradox. Last year, he had tried to seduce her and this year he was acting like the past two years had not even existed!

Like he was the best friend he had always been. Rhea would be damned if she could figure out what was going on in his mind. He was so damn unpredictable! So she managed a tentative smile instead deciding not to give him more importance.

She was already unhappy with herself for not having the audacity to tell him that she did not love him. She knew that she would have lost him forever as a friend and she so did not want that. If that made her weak, then so be it.

“Sure, let’s go,” she said casually and followed him downstairs.

Which was quite a sight. There was a crowd gathered in every empty space available in the living room which was big enough to accommodate at least a hundred guests. Damn! How had the party gotten so out of hand? She had not realized that there were so many friends invited. University friends, college friends, high school friends. And well friends of friends.

Sending a furtive look towards Adam, she noticed the bags under his eyes and realized that he must have worked damn hard for her party. And instead of feeling bad she felt happy. It was going to be back to normal between them. The Adam she had known had always bestowed her with gifts and little attention even when she had never asked for them. And had asked nothing in return.

Was it selfish of her to want the same relationship back from him? Did it make her an opportunist? It wasn’t like that. She would do anything for him too; he was very special to her. Except that when he had kissed her last time…

She shuddered at the memory as the feelings of revolt that had surged through her at the reminder. Well, not revolt but mostly fear. As people surrounded her to wish her, she plastered a fake smile on her face while her mind drifted into the past.

It had been one birthday ago when he had called her as usual to express his love and to wish her. She was used to his phone calls by now and she did not have time to bother about his feelings. It would wear off eventually, she was damn sure of that.

But it had not been enough for him when she had listened to him without reacting. Apparently unsatisfied with her lack of response, Adam had climbed the pipes to her bedroom to meet her. And she had been shocked to find him on her bed while she was wearing only her bathrobe.

“Adam!! What the hell?” she had asked trying desperately to ignore the pounding of her heart. It was only Adam; she knew he would never hurt her. But damn him! He had no right to sneak on her like that.

“Hey sugar,” he had replied nonchalantly leaning on his elbows and looking at her with a predatory gleam in his hazel eyes.

“Would you mind telling me what you’re doing here?” she asked trying to hide the way her fingers were trembling while she was holding her comb. It was of course a reaction she had associated with anger and outrage at finding him invading her privacy. Turning her back to him, she took in a deep breath and combed her hair like it was the most natural thing for her to do.

“Well, I came to wish you, sugar,” he said jumping on his feet and approaching her.

Thud! Thud! Thud! Oh dear God! Was that her heart? Why was he playing with her like that? Wasn’t he doing enough damage by bothering her every morning? Maybe she should try to talk to him about his supposed love. Ever since last year, she had shunned him whenever he had tried to approach her.

And did the mistake of putting down her brush to face him and nearly bumped into him in the process. She had never realized how close he was to her. Not until it was too late. She could not back out because there was her cissy behind her and Adam in front.