CHAPTER FIVE: BEING A WEAKLING

Adam could not help feeling glad that the party was over. Except that his apartment looked like it had been ransacked by raccoons. Exhausted, he threw his body on the nearest sofa and closed his eyes to block away the hideous sight. He was damn tired and had to work tomorrow but he had to restore his house to a modicum of order else his housekeeper Jane would just kill him.

"Adam, why don't you and Zach go upstairs and get some rest?" Zoey offered. "I will manage everything. And besides we will sleep through the day tomorrow while you two have to get back to work."

At her words, he could not help himself; he jumped up to kiss Zoey. She was such a darling! As he made his way upstairs, Rhea looked like she had something to say but when he furrowed his eyebrows at her, she schooled her expression clearly not going to say what she had in mind and he dropped the subject.

At that point, he did not care. All he wanted was to have some sleep before checking the account sheets again first thing in the morning. He was so tired that he was sure he would sleep even if he was standing. And true to his thoughts, as soon as he dropped on the bed, he forgot everything and welcomed the familiar abyss.

Thankfully when he went down in his living room the next morning, it looked decent enough and he only got a disapproving look from Jane. Which was peanuts as compared to the long lecture he would have endured otherwise. It was very cool of them to have cleaned after him and they must have been pretty tired too.

When he glanced at their room, the door was closed and he avoided any noise so as not to disturb them. Zach was nowhere in sight which was not so surprising and so without meeting any of them, he headed for his office. The day was as hectic as any usual day and when he checked his watch, it was already late in the afternoon.

Filled with at the thought of spending some quality time with the gang, he suddenly remembered he had a date tonight. With the love of his life. Damn! How could he have forgotten that? It just showed that he was quite under pressure those past few days.

Glancing at his watch, he found that there was still one hour left and he felt somewhat optimistic that Rhea had not cancelled their date. Truth be said, he had been expecting her to postpone or even call off their dinner under some pretext.

Luckily, there was no missed call from Rhea as he scrolled through the list of reminders flashing on his phone. The pending list of tasks would have to wait; romancing Rhea Palmer was on top of his list for the night. Humming to himself, he signaled his secretary that he was not going to be available for the rest of the evening.

As he reached home, there was a complete silence as opposed to the noises of the previous evening and he felt a sense of fear. What if the others have left like they were used to and Rhea had forgotten about the date?

Loosening his tie, he knocked on the guest room and almost jumped when he heard Rhea's voice through the door. He had not been expecting her to be inside.

"Is that you, Adam? I'm still doing my hair. It will take some time," her voice sounded chirpy like she was happy.

Well, he'll be damned! It looked like everything was going on perfectly. And he had been worried for no reason. But he had been waiting for two long years for this moment and could not help feeling a sense of premonition. Like it was something too good to be true.

"Take your time. I just came back from work. See you in a while," he said unable to keep the huskiness out of his voice.

It was due to excitement which he simply could not shake off. He felt as eager as a fifteen years old kid on his first date. Except he was still worried about what would happen when they were actually together. Was she even aware that it was a date? Would she regret going out with him?