Attack on Edolas

Erza POV

I ran. I ran like my life depended on it. It did though, even if unofficial I was his personal guard and everyone knew it. If anything, I may not be held accountable for not being there but these were my guards who'd failed to do their job.

Of what I could grasp of the situation, it was yet another assassination attempt although this time they were gonna use him as a bargaining chip before killing him. The higher ups, of course, didn't realise their true objective and were trying to peacefully negotiate with them not seeing just how hopeless that was. After they got what they wanted, they'd kill him...and I wasn't gonna let that happen.

"Captain Erza!" A guard yelled with an overly gratified expression. He, along with my other men, were waiting by the door and thanks to the large wooden log that lay by it I guessed that they'd tried to barge in before their orders stopped them from doing so.

They had chosen the perfect place, the grand hall. Why? Because everyone knew they were preparing for a ball to entertain the people and set their minds at ease so hearing their King died and the killers got what they wanted, was sure to set the kingdom into chaos. Not only that but they also now had hostages. Lots. All the servants were prepaid and at my guess they were probably getting rid of them one by one to force their hand but my other guess was that they were bluffing. That being that there was said to be 15 of them. My guards were highly trained and skilled and were all members of Mage devourers. The death squad I ran when still under the rule of Faust. Also, every member of staff was required to know hand to hand combat and carry a weapon on them at all times, considering the fact that we were all in the middle of a war. My last reason would be that after the vanishing of magic our men created what they call 'science.' They were hence forth known as scientists and had created some of the best 'technology' this world has ever seen. We revolutionised modern warfare and everyday living and invented what I'd like to call an 'alarm'. That being said, there is no possible way they could've both incapacitated everyone and not triggered any alarms unless they were already familiar with the castle's layout and known that the King would be in the grand hall without seeing his schedule which leads to the conclusion,

We have a mole.

"Listen. I need you all to make noise, pretend you're readying whatever the hell they asked for-"

"They asked for surrender."

I glared at the man who'd interrupted me. "Just make them believe we're doing as they ask. I'll be moving in."

They all nodded and I jumped through an open window with the sound of them talking being my background music. I scaled the walls of the building before I reached the balcony of the hall and took a peek inside. Just as I'd expected, there was only one woman. That, I didn't expect. In all honesty I only thought of a man being foolish enough to take over an entire kingdom on their own. My judgement most probably clouded from being around the idiot King for so long. She wore a mask, concealing her face as she leaned in close to Jellal's face. He, I noticed, was the only one still conscious. Everyone else was passed out on the floor. Beside each of them was a glass with red liquid - which I identified by the density as wine and not blood - spilling out. Hopefully the contents was only drugged, and not poisoned.

She leaned in closer and I saw his face fill with fear, an emotion only I had ever been able to instill within him. She moved closer and I felt my nails dig into the wall, cracking it slightly. She slowly licked his cheek and I saw him shiver at her touch.

I felt a horrible feeling at the pit of my stomach as my chest ached. It ached for him. I'd promised myself I'd never care, never fall. Because falling was a weakness. They could already use him as leverage over the kingdom but if they found out about me they could use me as leverage over Jellal. I still couldn't stop it though. Slowly, very slowly...he was breaking me. I was falling and falling hard.

It was about this moment that I withdrew my sword, a present Scarlet had left me upon her departure. It was a katana, and a fine one at that with a checkered red and black wrap over its white handle. The insignia of Fairy tail was engraved on one side of the red sheath and on the other the tattoo which adorned Jellal's face. How she got that side done? I don't know but either way it's beautiful and I treasure it completely. On my back was a black holster that had a pistol made using 'gunpowder'. Something our scientists newly created. Normally I'd enter with a plan but it was different this time. Something that made my actions uncontrollable.

The woman stuck out her tongue once again and licked the corner of his lips. He gasped and she used that as the correct moment to stick her tongue inside his mouth. He was restricted by the bonds on his wrist and she used that to her advantage as she straddled him, caressing his cheek, running a hand down his chest. I don't even know why I let it go on for that long but I exploded once I saw a bulge in his pants. There was no way my man was getting an erection right then and there and he was being turned on by his capture of all people!

I burst through the windows and the woman stopped the kiss, although she didn't get off. Instead she wrapped her arms around his neck smirking at me. Her lips and nose being the only things visible under her mask.

I growled at her as I got closer but her smirk only grew. She leaned back into Jellal, aiming for another kiss but instead was met with a bullet scraping her cheek. I shot my gun, the bullet bouncing off the walls, not even caring if Jellal was caught in the crossfire because right now they were both pissing me off.

She jumped up and slowly approached me. I held my katana steadily getting ready to strike her at any minute but not kill. I refused to kill with my katana. It was too special.

"Calm down."

I froze.

"I was just having a little fun."

That voice. It was so familiar... It wasn't possible.

"I'll be leaving now."

I couldn't move. I was paralysed. She...she...

"See you soon. Erza"

I know I should have pursued her but instead I found myself watching her retracting figure, it becoming nothing more than a dot in the ever brightening horizon.

That woman...