Royalty and Duty

Erza POV

It couldn't be, could it? That voice... That woman... But if it was then that means...that thought I had.....I was just being skeptical...what I thought was irrational but yet...it's possible.....is it real?

Everyone started to wake up as I stared at the open window.

I turned my back on it and refocused my attention on the hall, mainly Jellal as I untied him.

"So you noticed it too? This means we'll need help from some old friends of ours." I noticed that as he stood up he grabbed his wrist, most likely an injury. If anything I was just glad there were no casualties.

Author POV

"This wouldn't have happened if you had just increased the guards."

"Oh please. We both know that even if we had your guards wouldn't have stood a chance."

"Don't sell my guards short! I trained them!"

"And that's exactly why they would've lost. You and that woman are genet-"

"We are not! Genetics play no part in it. She has no relation to me even theoretically."

"But we've proved it."

"Maybe it was wrong."

"And maybe you're wrong. You don't seem to care about anyone but yourself." He lowered his voice dangerously, making it clear this conversation was about to get personal.

"Don't bring that up."

"Why? You said it yourself. You only care about me as your King and even then it's only because of duty."

"Oh really? You think my problem is not caring? Well then, what about you?" Erza growled lowly at him.

"What about me?" He hissed, getting closer. Erza could see that everyone else in the room seemed to inhale deeply. They took a step back or just got into a fighting stance, ready to intervene at any second.

"Maybe the fact that your an incompetent, oblivious King who lacks both strategic sense, experience and just sheer understanding in running a kingdom rather than you're normal 'look out for only yourself' style."

"Knightwalker..." He raised his voice glaring at her but Erza refused to budge.

"I can promise you that you will fall one day without me and with it, so will the kingdom."

"You're overstepping the line."

"And you don't have the balls to cross it."

"Stop now."

"Or what? You can't threaten me. You aren't even fit to be a king..."

He found himself raising his hand. For the first time Jellal was angry. Never once had he ever thought of striking a girl nor ever thought of turning to violence but she had finally pushed him. He'd reached his limit.

Gasps filled the room as his hand began to decline but was unable to reach contact due to the words she whispered. Words that were so vital for no one to hear. Words that would give away all their secrets if overhead by the wrong person.

"Nor are you fit to be my lover."

He, to everyone's surprise and joy, lowered his hand. She, glared at him, a darker one than before but took a step back. For the first time in the conversation she found herself breaking eye-contact no longer able to hold his gaze. His eyes were piercing right through her and she found herself feeling things she'd never before experienced. The main one being guilt.

"Are you-"

"Your majesty, may I have your permission for a leave of absence for a few days? I feel as though if I were to stay around you for any longer you'll find that the next assassination attempt will succeed." She rose her voice, making sure everyone in the room heard exactly what she had to say.

"Even if you hadn't asked you still would've done so so let me give you a little advice. Don't be anywhere near me for the next three days if you don't wanna face a court martial."

"You wouldn't."

"You don't want to test me. Leave, now."

Erza took a step forward once again, griping his injured wrist. He winced in pain finding himself glare at the one he loved.

"Of course, your majesty."

She grinned at him, a subtle one that was unnoticed to everyone but Jellal. He found himself cringing inwardly as he tried to hide the fear swarming in his eyes. He'd always tried convey himself as a ruler that is both considerate and strong and Erza was the only one who could ever make him cower. Even during the reign of his father, the war waged between Edolas and Earthland, Extalia and the dragon chain, even when his first friend, Pantherlily left, left him to protect the kingdom all on his own, never did he feel fear but there was something about Erza that struck fear in everyone, especially himself.

As she walked out of there, anger radiating off her in waves, he gulped. Unlike before when they had one of their arguments he knew it wouldn't be so easy. Normally he'd sneak into her room and they'd argue until they reached an agreement and then they'd have sex to make up or they'd angrily stare at each other until they could no longer hold their feelings and have sex anyway. This time, he knew it would take much longer than before.