ii. and so the adventure begins

02 | and so the adventure begins

THE PLAN TO pick up Newt Scamander wasn't hard. Diana and Margaret stayed at 237 Grive Street while Dorothy walked to the pier to greet the British man. At first, Diana was against their weekend being ruined by him, wanting to spend every moment she had with her best friend, but after one or two glasses of champagne she was all more willing to spend time alone with her daughter.

It was very weird for her to be waiting. Most times when Diana visited her, she would just sit around her house until there was a knock at the door, except for the time they planned to meet up at the zoo. Her leg was bobbing up and down in anticipation and her nerves were having a field day. Dorothy wasn't the only lady waiting for someone, no, there were many there sharing tells about their beloveds and how they missed them so much. Telling the others about the treacherous time it had been without a man in the house to all the heavy lifting and other petty stuff like that. It disgusted her to no end.

Seeing as Dorothy had only had three boyfriends in her thirty years, she couldn't understand a woman's want to parade around their relationship. Her first was a man named Gregory Chester, a wizard who worked at the bank. He was an acceptable man, of course, spoke highly of MACUSA and the government here, thought that their policies about how wizards shouldn't mingle with no-mags was the greatest thing ever. Dorothy knew that prejudice people still existed in the world, but she didn't think she would find one attractive enough to date or actually let herself finish a date with one. Of course, they didn't go on a second date, much to his dismay.

The second was Keith Samuel. He was much more shy than Gregory and didn't like to share things about himself, but did let slip that he was dating a no-mag and he wasn't interested in her, just needed a cover in case someone asked. Needless to say, their fake relationship lasted about three months before Dorothy couldn't handle it anymore. She was all for helping people, but the fact that whenever they were together he would only talk about his actual girlfriend drove her mad.

She let out a breath, "Just breathe, Dorothy, there's nothing to worry about. It's not like he's Grindelwald in disguise or one of his supporters who are going to reign terror on New York."

It was an unintentional lie. Of course, many things could go wrong, like maybe he was a master criminal who just wanted to unleash madness. There was also the fact that he could very well be a serial killer who just wanted to expand his art to America. A lot of bad things could happen with him there, but she had to tell herself that he was a kind man who wanted nothing like that.

Her eyes went to the photograph that Albus Dumbledore gave her. It was of a man with curly hair who didn't look to take the picture, and Dorothy was sure she could find him. And, she found herself wanting to after spending a whole night after receiving the picture just staring at it and hoping that he would be just as cute in person.

Waiting some time longer, she found herself looking at a man in a blue coat (the actual shade she didn't know) with a bow tie and curly hair. Looking down at the photograph once more, she decided that he must be the infamous Newt Scamander.

She raced to catch up with him, walking in pace before introducing herself, "I'm Dorothy James...and you must be Newt Scamander, right?"

"Yes," the man muttered, but Dorothy caught it.

Dorothy smiled before saying, "What are you doing here in America? Most British wizards avoid this place."

"There's something I want to find here," he answered quickly, "that can only be found here."