xii. and so it ends (one final goodbye)

12 | and so it ends (one final goodbye)

When Dorothy felt like everything was over, more problems were added. But it was small, starting from one goodbye to another, and Dorothy hated them. Mostly because, when she was a child, she said goodbye to caregivers – the only people in her childhood that cared for her. Even saying goodbye to Richard, who was so cruel to her, was hard. He was her first friend, and he threw that away.

Dorothy was standing close to Newt, so close that they could be holding hands if one made the move. Tina was standing near her sister, who was hugging Jacob. And then, he moved forward to Newt.

"Hey...I figured somebody oughta keep an eye on this thing," Jacob said, handing the case back to Newt.

"Thank you," Newt said in a humble tone, and Dorothy had learned that he meant it completely.

And then, Madam Picquery started to give a speech, "We owe you an apology, Mr. Scamander. But the magical community is exposed! We cannot Obliviate an entire city."

There was a beat as everyone realized what had just happened. Dorothy didn't even think of the consequences as she was fighting for her life, but she didn't really have time to think.

And Dorothy followed the gaze of Newt, seeing bits of dark matter floating in the air – the remains of Credence. And eventually, it floated up in the air, until it was all gone.

Dorothy then looked at Newt, her eyes filling with sadness as his mind seemed to work. "Actually, I think we can," Newt told them, causing her eyebrows to furrow.

Newt opened his case, leading the Thunderbird out. Frank flapped his wings, and Dorothy realized what he was going to do. "No," she whispered tears brimming in her eyes, but she knew her sadness was only a fraction of what Newt felt.

Dorothy stepped forward slowly, making sure not to frighten Frank, but close enough to comfort Newt if she had to.

"I was intending to wait until we got to Arizona, but seems like now you are our only hope, Frank," Newt said to the creature with sadness.

Frank and Newt looked at each other, an understanding between them. Newt reached out as Frank pressed his beak lovingly into the embrace as they nuzzled each other. Dorothy only watched them with sadness as others stared in awe.

"I'll miss you too," Newt whispered, stepping back and into the arms of Dorothy, who was there to comfort him.

He took the flask of Swooping Evil venom from his pocket. "You know what you've got to do," he said to Frank, throwing up the vial in the air. Frank let out a cry, catching it in his beak before immediately sailing out of the subway and into the sky.

Dorothy watched as rain appeared, covering the people as they forgot and the Aurors rebuilt the city.

"They won't remember anything. That venom has incredibly powerful Obliviative properties," Newt told them, taking Dorothy's hand.

"We owe you a great debt, Mr. Scamander. Now – get that case out of New York," Madam Picquery said in an impressed tone.

"Yes, Madam President," Newt said, looking at Dorothy with a smile.

And then, Madam Picquery turned around again. Dorothy looked, noticing that Queenie stiffened.

"Is that No-Maj still here?" she asked, then noticing Jacob, "Obliviate him. There can be no exceptions." All of them looked at Jacob with sadness, something that Madam President noticed, "I'm sorry – but even one witness...you know the law. I'll let you say goodbye."