x. oh, you know, just another near death experience

10 | oh, you know, just another near death experience

THE FIVE OF them walked the streets of New York, looking through the windows of the department store, the one Gnarlack told them, carefully. Dorothy felt her mind wander for only moments as she sensed how close she was to Newt, but quickly shook the thoughts off. She didn't have time to entertain the idea that Newt could possibly like her back.

Dorothy saw Jacob stare oddly through a window, since he was ahead of them, and she knew that he found something peculiar. The four wizards quickly made their way to him, seeing a floating handbag.

"Found him," Dorothy muttered under her breath, following them inside the shop.

It was very neat, the store, decorated for Christmas with expensive jewelry on display along with their finest shoes and hats. She caught a whiff of perfume - one that she had smelt a few times while passing near the store, and she let herself close her eyes as she got lost in the amazing scent.

But, the moment was over when Tina gave her a sharp jab in the stomach with her elbow, and Dorothy rolled her eyes, continuing her way. Then, she spotted the floating purse again, accompanied by a few small grunting noises, but they were more adorable than menacing.

The group tip-toed closer, careful not to draw attention to them with large sounds. Dorothy felt her breathing stop, and had to remind herself that she could breath.

"So Demiguises are fundamentally peaceful, but they can give a nasty nip if provoked," Newt whispered, and Dorothy found herself nodding at the information.

Then, the Demiguise appeared. It was almost invisible, so light and everything behind it could be seen through the create, yet there was a fine line drawing a figure to the creature. It had a curious look on its face as it clambered over a display to reach a box of sweets.

Almost, almost, Dorothy laughed at it. She found the creature quite adorable, and she wanted so badly to go up and pinch its cheeks, but she brought her hand to her mouth to stop any noise from coming. Dorothy didn't know how the others weren't giggling with her - or, almost giggling.

"You two...head that way," Newt motioned to Queenie and Jacob, "And try hard not to be predictable."

Dorothy wondered what he meant, furrowing her eyebrows as she desperately wished to ask him a question, but knew better than to disturb the quiet for that. She could ask him when the creature was safely back in Newt's case.

But then they heard a roar in the distance. Almost immediately, their heads snapped to the direction in which the noise came. The Demiguise, though, looked up to the ceiling before continuing to gather the sweets, shoveling them in the bag as fast as he could.

"Was that the Demiguise?" Tina asked Newt, still keeping her volume low.

"No, I think it might be the reason that the Demiguise is here," Newt answered her, and more questions swarmed in Dorothy's head.

The three of them swiftly moved through the aisle, getting closer to the Demiguise as they did, which was now moving through the store again. But the creature stopped, turning slowly as it realized that it was being followed. It stared at Newt quizzically before running up a set of side stairs, Newt smiling before going after it, the others trailing behind.

Dorothy and Tina ran after Newt, going to a huge, dark attic packed with shelves full of expensive china. Dorothy felt the need to leave, since she knew that she would only cause trouble in the room, creating quite a mess with the china since she knew that she would break it one way or another.