2

REVAMP
December 5, 2016

As much as I enjoyed the finer things in life I knew teaching was my calling. I loved kids and to be able to help transition them into the next level of life was something that really made me happy. The pay wasn't great but I knew God had my back no matter what and that money would flow to me without an issue as long as I stayed on the right path, so I used my degree to be a 12th grade English teacher. I loved learning and I loved knowing so much about something to be able to pass down that knowledge and dropping jewels in the youth was needed in this day in age. I only had 5 years on my students but the person I am today is not the person I was at 17-18 even though talking to kids could sometimes be like talking to a brick wall, I did my best to make sure they were all comfortable with receiving the things I said. It's not what you say it's how you say it, delivery is everything.

Now like I said I wasn't doing my job for money, that's what men are for. Staying in Manhattan was not cheap, the check I got from teaching wouldn't last me a week even if I stayed home and ate noodles everyday. Rent would be well over ten thousand if it wasn't my fathers property but like I said God had my back.

"Are you guys ready for this break coming up?" I asked sitting on my desk as my last hour for the day settled in.

I got a few 'Yeah's' and 'I can't waits'

"Okay well you guys know from the Syllabus we are gonna be working on the play 'Hamlet' have any of you guys heard of it?" I asked moving from the desk and down the aisle way. There was two sections of the class, desk facing each other but against two walls opposite from one another. Leaving the middle, front, and back of the classroom empty of desk despite the ones at the end of each row.

"Isn't it by the dude who made Romeo and Juliet" one of my students by the name of Daniel called out "Yeah his name Shakespeare" Alicia added.

"Yes correct and before we even start we're going to watch this video on him and make a KWL chart" I said grabbing the stack of copy paper and passing it out.

"Write down what you know if you know anything about him and what you want to know in the second column"

I made my way to my desk pulling the video up on the Pyrethrum board.

"Do we get assigned rolls?" Chantelle blurred out.

"Well everyday there will be different readers and that's how you'll get your points but if I have Volunteers I won't have to assign"

"Is hamlet based on Shakespeare's life, like is this about him?"

"Well no this video is strictly about Shakespeare! Tomorrow we'll be watching a video on 'Hamlet' and it'll summarize the story for you" I said sitting down smoothing out the olive green turtle neck sweater dress I had on. I picked small pieces of lent off my tights that were mostly covered by my burgundy thigh high boots that I had purchased from a boutique.

"Okay we're gonna get started on this video" I said before pressing play on the video from my computer.

Throughout the video I would pause it and discuss things about Shakespeare then continue it until class was finally over.

"Ms. Black will you be staying after school today?" Chantelle asked coming to my desk as other students left the classroom.

"No is their anything you needed?" I asked fixing my desk up and putting my MacBook in its case.

"Yeah I needed you to check these papers from when I was out plus I need to take the mid-unit test" she said flashing her folder.

"Okay I'll take these papers, they'll be in the grade book tonight. Do you by any chance have a computer at home?" I asked taking the folder placing it in the book bag I carried most of my school things in.