Chapter 3

I got back home feeling stressed, confused, and irritated. Ben didn't shut up about Ji-Hun solving the math problem. I had wanted to make him stop but I couldn't. I didn't want to come off as jealous.

I wanted to dislike Ji-Hun but I'd already gotten to know him and I can't find a non-selfish reason not to like him. Heck, I liked him so much that I'd invited him to sit with us. If only I'd known—

My thoughts were soon interrupted as the default ringtone of my phone filled the room. I groaned, rolling to the side of my bed so I could grab it from the bedside table. A frown formed on my face when I saw the unknown number but I answered it anyway.

"Hello?" I muttered into the receiver, sitting up on my bed before rubbing my tired eyes. I'd retreated into my room upstairs immediately I'd gotten home, switching the lights off and drawing the curtains closed before attempting to take a nap.

"Hey."

I frowned briefly at the sound of Ji-Hun's voice. How in the world did he get my number?

"Hey, it's Ji-Hun."

Ji-Hun said, probably trying to confirm that I knew he was the one speaking. I ran a hand through my hair, briefly contemplating whether I should hang up.

"Hey," I muttered, deciding against it. I didn't want him to read me as being stuck up or snobbish.

Ji-Hun chuckled slightly from the other end making a smile form on my lips. I wasn't sure why I was smiling. I was irritated because of him just a few minutes ago. Maybe it was the way he laughed. It had a pleasant ring to it.

"Sorry for calling you up like this. Ben gave me your number and I was wondering if you could scan your notes to my email," he said, making me frown slightly. "Not all, just some," he added quickly, erasing the frown that had formed on my face. I sighed in relief. I'd been wondering if he wanted me to spend the next eight hours in front of a scanner.

"Can you scan your chemistry notes first?" Ji-Hun asked as I got up from my bed.

"Sure," I muttered as I headed towards the light switch in my pale blue boxers. I flipped the switch so that the light bulb came on before heading to my closet to find something to wear.

"Thanks! Are you close to a piece of paper, or should I just text you my email address?"

"Send it in a text," I muttered as I balanced my phone between my chin and shoulder blade while searching my closet. It was a terrible habit seeing as my phone could tumble to its death any second. I just decided to ignore the possible outcomes, or I was just too confident in Ben's ability to fix it if anything happened.

"Okay then, thanks again!" Ji-Hun said before hanging up.

I finally settled on some pajama shorts and a tank top. I took my biology notes from my study table and heading down the stairs right after that. I got down, finding Ava scribbling into her drawing book at the dining table. I gave her an odd look, wondering why she was there and not in the art room. Letting her be, I wandered away to the study room, groaning when I turned the knob to find out the door was locked... Why in the world?

I sighed, running a hand through my hair in frustration before making my way to the art room. My nose twitched at the smell of acrylic paint and fixatives. I spotted my mum at the far end of the art room, her hair in a big bun on top of her head. She was working on a portrait, the apron she had on was already stained with paint. She was a messy painter, meaning everything around her would probably be covered in paint before she was done.

"Close the door," she finally muttered without turning to look at me. I let out a small 'oh' before shutting the door behind behind me and wandering into the room that was familiar yet foreign to me.