Chapter 4

"Why?" someone groaned from the back of the class as Miss Jones shared the question papers for the impromptu chemistry test.

I sat quietly by my desk, returning the smile she sent my way as she dropped the question paper on my desk. I wasn't bothered. I was always studying so I was always ready for a test.

I turned around to find Ben running a hand through his coarse short hair as he chewed at the end of his pen. I raised a brow in curiosity when I spotted Ji-Hun taking a question sheet from Miss Jones. I wondered what h was planning to do. He just got here. He can't just write the test, can he?

"Just try your best, okay?" Miss Jones said to him as she stepped away from his table. He spared her a small smile before his gaze to the question sheet in front of him.

So, he's taking the test. I looked away, facing my own paper as soon as Miss Jones asked us to start.

The questions were easy for the most part; I just couldn't answer the last part of a question. I answered the rest, using the last ten minutes to review my work.

"Time's up," Miss Jones muttered soon after, getting up from behind her desk to retrieve the papers. I sighed as I handed my sheet over. I still didn't answer the last part o the bothersome question. I tried to calm reassure myself by remembering that that part only carried a few marks.

"You're all free to leave," Miss Jones said with a smile as she arranged the pile of answer sheets and put them in a corner of her desk. She ran a hand through her curled honey-colored hair before taking a sit by her desk and picking up her glasses.

Oh, so she's marking them right away.

"Come on, we have about twenty extra minutes to the next period," I heard Ben say as he came up to me. I turned to find Ji-Hun behind him, tapping the screen of his phone without a care in the world. I bit my bottom lip, nodding at Ben before gathering my things.

We were the last set of people to leave. We wished Miss Jones a good day before leaving the class.

What do we have next?" Ben asked me, earning an eye roll from me. We'd been in this year for a while and he still didn't know his schedule, while I knew ours both by heart.

"I have biology so that means you have IT," I replied as we stopped by my locker. It was an odd tradition. Our lockers were so far apart but we always stopped at my locker first then his even though our classes were probably the other way.

"I have IT too," Ji-Hun said, looking up from his phone for the first time since we left our chemistry class. I closed my locker, turning to find Ben grinning at Ji-Hun in approval.

"Finally," Ben muttered, grabbing Ji-Hun by his right arm, "I have IT with someone I talk to."

"This killjoy here has biology," Ben said, sending a look of detest my way.

"I'm sorry I'm doing biology and not IT, okay?" I said, rolling my eyes as continued with them towards Ben's locker. I hummed in interest when Ji-Hun moved to open the locker next to Ben. I'm not sure how I didn't notice his locker right next to Ben's when I showed him around the school.

"See you at lunch then. Ji-Hun let's go," Ben said as he shut his locker. Ji-Hun nodded, hugging the brand new set of notes he'd taken out of his locker to his chest. He followed Ben through the hallway, leaving me behind.

I headed to biology class by myself as always, settling in one of the sits in the front row. Mrs. Green gave me a big toothy smile as I sat down before turning to arrange the sheets of paper on her desk in preparation for the class.

She was a smallish dark-skinned woman with thick kinky hair that she usually put under her scarf.

As she waited for the rest of the students to file in I answered her monotonous questions as I went through my notes.