Chapter 7

"Okay then, we should be all done marking papers," Miss Jones said, clapping her hands together as she looked from one student in the classroom to the next. We'd just finished taken a revision test and had passed our papers around so that someone else could do the marking.

"You can pass the answer sheets back to their owners now," she said with a small smile as she used the remote in her hand to turn off the projector. The class soon became noisy as people left their tables for others, and muttered among themselves about their scores as they passed answer sheets back and forth.

"I'm with yours Wyatt," Jameson, a smallish lean boy in dark-rimmed glasses said as he waved what I presumed was my answer sheet above his head. I sighed, rolling my eyes as I got up from my seat to get it. I'd already given the answer sheet I'd mark to its owner already, and had been looking for who had mine.

"Ten out of ten," Jameson announced with a cheeky smile as he handed me my answer sheet.

"Thanks..." I trailed, taking it from him. A small smile formed on my lips when I spotted the bright ten written in green at the uppermost right of the answer sheet.

"If you've gotten your answer sheet, please sit down." Miss Jones' voice echoed through the classroom. The loud muttering in the classroom soon calmed down as people diffused from the tables they'd been crowding about and returned to their own seats. I left Jameson's desk to return to mine, before looking over to Miss Jones who was presently flipping through her class notes.

"Did anyone get a ten out of ten?" she asked, raising her eyes to look at us. I raised my hand, watching as a knowing smile formed on her lips.

"So, two," she said with a curt nod. I looked about to find who the second person was, and wasn't surprised to spot Ji-Hun at the other end of the room with one of his hands up as he scribbled into his note with the other.

"Okay, did anyone get a nine out of ten?" I dropped my hand as I watched a few hands go up - Ben's being one of them.

Miss Jones continued asking for overall marks before given the correction.

The class ended soon after and, I was packing up my things with the rest of the class when Miss Jones started talking. "Don't forget to do your assignments. I'm not accepting any excuses! Oh, Wyatt and Ji-Hun please stay behind."

I looked over at Miss Jones with a confused frown, but she didn't pay me any attention as she sorted out the books on her desk and tried to keep her curls in place at the same time. I turned to Ji-Hun who seemed to be just as confused. What exactly could Miss Jones want to talk to us about?

When the class completely emptied out and the bell for the next period went, Miss Jones, beckoned to us to come up to her desk.

"I guess you're wondering why I asked you guys to stay back," Miss Jones said with a small smile, folding her hands over her chest as she looked from me to Ji-Hun. "I wanted to talk to you guys about something. Well, Wyatt already knows what it is."

I raised a brow in confusion. "No, I actually don't?"

Miss Jones laughed, adjusting the collar of her pink work shirt as she cleared her throat. "I wanted to talk to you guys about the UNICEF world education games. Wyatt, you participated last year, didn't you?"

"Oh, that..." I trailed, running a hand through my hair. I could see where this was going. The school only allowed students at the top of their classes to participate so that they'd have a good average score.

"Ji-Hun, have you heard of it before?" Miss Jones asked, making Ji-Hun shake his head.

"Well, you have now," she said before resting her back on her chair. "It's a twenty-four-hour intellectual competition over the internet that tests you on science, math, and English literature. The schools with the best average scores get trophies and certificates, students in the hall of fame- basically the top hundred students with the best personal scores get medals. It's a very big worldwide contest. Wyatt placed fifteenth overall last year in his category."