Chapter 6

The weekend passed by quickly and it was soon Monday again. Aiyana and I had a free period together during the day and we're currently writing our paper together.

"Throw your gum away," I hissed under my breath when the school librarian walked past us for the fourth time during the period. She knew Aiyana was chewing gum — she just wanted to catch her doing it.

Aiyana shrugged, throwing the gum between her fingers back into her mouth when the librarian was a good distance away. The librarian had gone back behind her desk, probably calling quits.

We were working on our critical thinking project together because Ben and Ji-Hun had had technical drawing class. Now that I've noticed it, they took the same set of subjects.

Aiyana and I exchanged ideas and worked on our project for the next twenty minutes before getting worn out. We had about twenty minutes before the period ended. I just settled with doodling on the last page of my jotter as she picked at her green painted nails. I flipped the thick cover close when Aiyana tried to lean in over the table to see what I was doing. I saw the hurt look on her face but I didn't apologize. I didn't need anyone comparing my drawings to Caleb's.

"Okay, I'm just going to pretend like you didn't do that," she sighed, slumping back into her seat with her arms folded across her small chest. "I'm your friend. You know that, don't you Wyatt?"

I didn't answer her. I just shrugged as I slid my jotter underneath the stack of reference textbooks that was at the center of the table.

"We've been friends for over a year now Wyatt. Maybe Ben hasn't noticed it or doesn't care, but I extremely dislike it when you're brooding and not letting anyone know," Aiyana continued, running a hand through her dark hair. I watched her rub her forehead in distress, before rolling her eyes at me.

"I'm sorry," I muttered, looking down at the worn-out table. There were wordings and drawings done with everything from pens to art knives and compasses.

"Sorry's not enough Wyatt," I heard her say. There was an awkward silence before the force of Aiyana dropping her bag on the table made me lookup. I found her going through her grey backpack, eventually pulling out a rectangular black box.

"This is for Mr. Richard," she muttered, placing the box on the table as a small smile made its way to her lips. I felt my face muscles loosen in relief. Aiyana was doing that thing where she tried to push me to talk but thought otherwise soon after.

"Okay..." I trailed, cocking my head to the side at the sight of the box, our previous discussion quickly forgotten.

Mr. Richard was Aiyana's literature teacher. He was one of the youngest members of staff and was a favorite among the student body. Most of the older teachers didn't exactly like him. He was too hipster for them, but Mr. Richard didn't seem to mind.

"Everyone in my class is getting something for him. As a small thank you, you know? He's been so nice to us..." The rest of Aiyana's words didn't process in my mind as I watched her open the black box to reveal a set of nail polish — eight in the set to be more specific.

"Doesn't Mr. Richard have enough of that?" I asked, eyeing the kit. Mr. Richard always had nail polish on. The colors changed so frequently that I was more than sure he had a special supplier.

Aiyana rolled her eyes, pointing at the words at the side of the box. "It's limited, can't you see that? I spent my allowance on this, don't belittle my gift."

I chuckled, shaking my head. "Okay, whatever. What are the others getting him anyway?"

"Books, Albums, movies, makeup... You know, all that stuff," she answered as she repackaged the little black box again.