Two

.Normani Kordei Hamilton.

I've done a fairly good job at avoiding the new girl for the past few hours. The boys have mostly been drooling all over her and following/showing her around. Harry came into the lounge grinning, "Damn, Hamilton. New girl is hot." He raised his eyebrows and gave a low whistle.

"She's okay, I guess." I seethed.

Harry smirked, "Oh, come on, you know you'll always be our favorite girl. You're the hottest and most badass girl around, you're-"

I slapped his arm, "Shut up, you know that's not what this is about." I couldn't help but grin back at him. They really were great guys, and always meant well.

Harry continued to smile, "I know. I miss him, too. But, we have to face that he's not coming back any time soon, so we might as well get to know her," he shrugged then added, "Plus, she's hot."

I rolled my eyes.

"Don't try to deny it, come on, you've always talked women with us," He whined teasingly.

"Fine, she's...not bad." I grudgingly replied. Actually, 'not bad' didn't begin to cover it.

"Wow, that's juicy," Harry stated sarcastically, before grabbing a bottle of water and walking out.

A little while later, I headed out to the garage to check the engine stocks before my lunch break. When I opened the side door, I suddenly heard a screech and felt myself being propelled to the ground and a soft body slamming down on top of me. "Oof. What the hell!"

The body on top of me didn't move, but squirmed enough to look into my face, "Oh, Normani Kordei, I'm so sorry. I didn't see you."

I glared up into Dinah's eyes, which were a stunning brown. Why hadn't I noticed that before? "What the hell are you doing? And, my name is Normani." I spat at her.

"Oh, the Captain said Normani Kordei, and I thought-" She started to explain, making no move to get off me.

"I don't really care what you thought, I don't like people calling me by my middle name, and when were you planning on getting off of me?" I growled into her face.

"Oh, now I guess," Dinah seemed to blush as she pushed off my body.

She held her hand out to help me. I batted her hand away and jumped up. My shoulder hurt kinda bad, as I rubbed it, I narrowed my eyes at her, "Seriously, what just happened?"

Dinah just gazed back at me for a moment, I swore she glanced at my chest, but it was too fast for me to tell for sure, "I was skating around the truck."

I stared at her, "Um, you're not wearing skates," I felt the need to point out the stupidity of that claim.

"Yeah, actually, these shoes have wheels in them," She grinned as she lifted up her foot for me to see.

"Wow, I haven't seen those on anyone over the age of twelve. Nice." I said scathingly. Where does she think she is? Disneyland?

"What can I say? I like wheels, I'm good on wheels. That's why I drive." Dinah stated simply.

"Good, my ass. You just flattened me." Again, I'm needing to point out the obvious.

"You snuck in, that doesn't make me bad on wheels, just not a good ninja." Dinah cocked her head at me, daring me to smile. It almost worked.

"Alright, don't be a ninja, then. And, also don't skate in the garage." I ordered and began to take stock of the back tool box. I could hear that Dinah didn't move to leave or move at all.

"I need to know something," Dinah started.

I sighed in annoyance and whirled around, her eyes snapped up, almost guiltily. Was she looking at my ass? I do have a great ass.

"What?"

"Why are you so determined to hate me? I know that technically I'm replacing your friend, but I haven't done anything that should make you hate me." She didn't ask it angrily, she just sounded genuinely concerned. Her bright brown eyes wide, and her pink plump lips set in a slight smile.

I didn't quite know how to respond. I still wanted to not like her, but I could try to explain some things. I put my hands on my hips and fixed her with a fierce look, "Malik saved my life. The reason he was in that building that day was because he went in after me. I went in to pull out a kid. I got trapped. Even though he wasn't supposed to, he went in to get me out. We couldn't save the kid in time. Malik got me out, but not before he witnessed the kid burn to death. It messed him up. Zayn should have never had to go in. The department didn't call in back up for us in time. We called for some, but they didn't make it happen. So, when he started being reckless, doing stupid things, like driving way over the speed limit, putting himself in danger, I tried to help. But, he got caught and his license revoked. That's why we all fought so hard to get him to stay. If back up was called when we asked, he never would have had to go in, and never witnessed what he did. I want him here, and that's why I don't like that you are." I finished, my heart pounding with adrenaline and pain at reliving that night. I looked away from her inquisitive and surprisingly compassionate eyes.

Dinah took a step toward me, "I'm really sorry. That must have been really hard to go through. But, it wasn't your fault." She reached out to, I think, touch my arm, but must have thought better, because she suddenly let it drop back to her side. "I understand that you feel guilty, and that makes seeing me difficult, but do you think we could try to get along?" Her voice was soft and hopeful.

I felt my defenses go back up and anger return, "No, because you're also perky, presumptuous, self-assured, and a little ridiculous. You don't exactly belong here."

Dinah's eyes hardened again, "Ok, fine, but you're arrogant, rude, pushy, and kind of a bitch, but I was willing to look past first impressions for the sake of our job. Don't worry, I'm done with that. There's nothing else to you, Normani Kordei. I can deal with that." With that she spun around and kicked off on her foot to roll away.

I stood there seething at her audacity, I yelled after her, "I told you to call me Normani ."

"Uh oh, did someone dare use your middle name?" A voice behind me chuckled.

Looking over my shoulder, I smiled, "Hey, Zendaya. And, yes, but don't get me started."

"Ok, I won't. Are you ready to get lunch?"

"Yeah, just let me grab my purse and coat." We walked back into the station. Everyone was playing cards at the table.

"Hey, boys," Zendaya called toward the group, then shot a confused face toward Dinah, "Oh, and girl."

The guys returned her greeting, and Dinah waved politely. I paused, then reluctantly led Zendaya to the table. "Zendaya, this is Dinah, our new driver. Dinah, this is Zendaya, my girlfriend."

Dinah leaned over to take her hand, "Girlfriend?" Her eyebrows rose.

I shot her a nasty look, "Yes, is that a problem?"

A look crossed Dinah's face that I couldn't quite distinguish. It seemed almost like a cross between relief, amusement, and excitement. But, it passed quickly as she replied, "Nope, not at all. It's nice to meet you." Her smile beamed with full on eye dimples.

"Great, we're leaving now," With that I grabbed Zendaya's hand and pulled her out the door.

As we exited the building, Zendaya looked at me, "Having a new driver must be hard on you."

"She is hard on me, she's...she's...I don't know, perky and obnoxious," I tried to explain, but just ended in a huff.

"You hate her."

"A little."

"She's cute," Zendaya shrugged and smirked at me.

I groaned, "Oh, God, not you, too."

---

I decided to post three chapters a day just for the heck of it. 👍🏾😊