Chapter 15 - The lost Samurai

Briannon was beyond bored. Being a member of the Samurai involved a constant stream of jobs and missions, so there were barely any days off. With this team, it was like the complete opposite. Every time she offered to do something, like rob a bank or steal from an armoury, the team would brush it aside. They would say it "required more planning," or that "it would be a waste of valuable time." Ugh. Even Harley was turning down her offers.

The appearance of her former teammate, however, turned the tides.

She heard his voice at the door and nearly bowled Harley over on her way to see him. He looked no different, except for his clothes. Briannon wasn't used to seeing him out of his cape, meaning jeans and a t-shirt came as a shock. Hell, seeing him in general was a shock.

"What are you doing here?" She asked.

Jack rolled his eyes. "The King banished me. Same as you." He narrowed his eyes at Harley. "So...?

"No." Harley crossed his arms. "At least not until you've proven your loyalty."

"Harley." Briannon touched his shoulder. "May I speak with Jack for a moment?"

Her tone made it clear that she wasn't asking, and Harley wasn't about to turn her down a second time. He nodded and walked back into the kitchen, where the rest of the team had gathered. Briannon stepped outside and shut the door quickly behind her.

"Where's Mason?" She asked.

Jack scoffed. "Back at the lab. Couldn't bring himself to leave his precious daddy behind. Ugh!" He kicked one of the chairs on the porch, snapping its leg.

Briannon sighed. "Can you stop whining for a sec and be serious? We're assassins for Gods sake."

Jack shot her a glare. "I know that." He took a deep breath and picked up his bag. "Look, if I can't stay here I'll head back to the old place or something. I wouldn't want to inconvenience any of you."

"Ugh, look. If you don't piss anyone off, they'll let you stay. And here's better than by yourself."

"Is that why you came?" Jack crossed his arms. "After you betrayed us and left?"

"This," Briannon narrowed her eyes like there was no tomorrow. "Is exactly why no one likes you."

"Thanks."

"I left because I owed these guys." She admitted. "They didn't kill me, so I helped them out. And naturally, I would've ended up in the same situation as you."

Jack raised an eyebrow. "They didn't kill me either. I didn't help them."

"Because you're a dick."

"My point being: why run to them?" Jack asked. "Why not, I don't know, any other crime group? Preferably one that's not plotting against a shadow warrior!"

Briannon stepped down off the porch and stood beside him. "Tell me you think what he's doing is right. Tell me you think he won't turn on us anyway and treat us the same as any other street thug around here."

"I..." Jack paused, then scoffed. "Why? Doesn't answer the question."

Briannon rolled her eyes. "Just tell me! God."