Chapter 17 - Lone wolf

Tristan found Kira in her usual spot. She was tending to a sunflower at the back of her greenhouse, where an intense circle of light had managed to form. Her hair shimmered in brilliant waves of gold whenever she stepped inside, then darkened to its normal orangey state when she left it. She looked up when Tristan approached and wrinkled her nose.

"Yes?" She asked, immediately turning back to her flower.

Tristan swallowed. "I'm leaving."

"Uh huh," said Kira, half paying attention. "When are you getting back?"

"I don't think I will be."

This time, Kira stopped. "What?" She spun around and crossed her arms. "Do you mean you're leaving for good?"

"That's exactly what I mean." Tristan kicked a bag of soil underneath the table.

Kira pursed her lips for a moment, then brushed past him to the door. It shut with a loud click. "When?"

Tristan shrugged. "Soon as possible."

"Are you gonna give me a reason? Considering that we're about to start moving against the King." Kira flipped her hair over one shoulder. "Or just vanish like my brother did?"

Despite having the emotional intelligence of a bag of soil, Tristan shuddered. "That sounded harsh."

Kira shook her head slightly. "It was. Because I'm actually kinda mad now."

Tristan stepped around her and opened the door. "Don't be. I'll be gone by morning. Then you won't have to pretend to care anymore."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Kira shouted, grabbing Tristan's shoulder and spinning him around. "You think I bother to pretend to care about people?"

"You're half the reason I'm leaving, Kira." Tristan growled, literally.

"Oh, that's nice." said Kira. "Any other insults you wanna throw before ditching?"

A low rumble sounded in Tristan's throat, but only momentarily. "No. And I'm going because I don't belong here. Everyone knows it. I'd rather be out in the forest, even if it's with a pack of wild dogs. Sorry I can't help you with the King, but my kind shouldn't mix with yours."

Kira didn't say anything, so he walked back up towards the house. Kira was about to storm back into the greenhouse and let him go, but then she got a better idea.

"Hey." She caught him before he went inside. "What if I came with you? Who knows, maybe we'll find a pack of werewolves."

Tristan's eyes narrowed. "You don't want to. You wouldn't leave your friends. Or Harley. You have a mission to complete."

"Please." Kira rolled her eyes. "I spend ninety percent of my time in a concrete box growing plants. If you don't belong here, neither do I." She tipped her head to the side. "Besides, I'm not giving you a choice."

Tristan snarled. "Didn't you hear what I said? You're half the reason I'm going in the first place."

Kira let out a growl of her own. "I don't get it! I don't get you. You've literally followed around me like a puppy recently, and now you can't wait to get away from me?"