Chapter 20 - Stealth tactics

Part 2: Chessboard

"I still don't get it." said Joel, tightening his quiver strap and giving Harley a doubtful stare. "We've done... how many stealth missions?"

Harley slowly parted his legs in midair until they stopped in a full split. Joel still couldn't understand exactly how the guy could stay completely still in a handstand and not pass out. Once upon a time, he himself had tried acrobatics, but eventually gave up when he realised he was receiving more bruises from training than from actual field work.

"It doesn't matter how many we've done," Harley said, slowly lowering himself to a crouch. "Jack's done more. Besides, he's a Samurai. If anyone knows stealth, it's him."

Joel rolled his eyes. "Please. His ego alone would give him away."

"You're not exactly a saint yourself." Briannon countered from behind him. "Although, I have to agree with one thing: this seems pointless. I've learned everything that he's learned."

"Then I'm sure," Harley finished his stretching and stood up, "that you'll be able to do whatever he says."

The three of them joined the rest of the crew on the back lawn and they all awaited Jack's orders. He had vanished, almost literally, into the forest behind the cottage about half an hour ago, telling the team to be ready for a fight. As a result, everyone was completely geared up in costumes and weapons.

"Any idea what we're doing?" Ella asked, swinging her mallet effortlessly.

Thea cracked her knuckles and picked up her spiked mace. "Maybe we get to kick his ass again!"

"You most certainly do not." A voice said directly behind her.

The whole group, except Briannon, flinched and whirled around to face the speaker. Harley groaned internally, wishing he'd seen the guy coming. Jack assessed the group silently with his eyes for a moment, then spoke again.

"Your mission is to reach the abandoned base in the middle of the forest." Harley remembered that Wills had indeed set up a campsite somewhere a while ago. "Treat your allies as enemies. The subject of this lesson is stealth, after all. You are to reach the objective without being spotted, as it could result in your failure. You see, only one person can win this challenge." Several confused glances were shot his way. "Therefore, you must 'subdue' your team members and ensure they don't reach it before you. Naturally, this must be done silently. You don't want half the team bearing down on you because you're firing bullets at someone else."

"So basically," said Thea, "it's a game of hide-and-seek with weapons."

"Better be damn good at hiding." Ella said. "Because I'm not losing."

"In your dreams." Wills snapped, unsheathing his sword.

Ella scowled. "I'll go for you first!"

Ruby mumbled something along the lines of "oh boy," then Jack gave the signal for the mission to start. Harley sprinted down the hill with Briannon on his left and Joel on his right. He was the first one past the tree line, catching Wills close behind out of the corner of his eye. Instantly, he scaled one of the towering trees and used his whip to swing his way in the direction he believed lead to the base. Below him, the rest of the team were spreading out to avoid confrontation straight away. Pretty soon, Harley was on his own.