Chapter Fifteen

"Esme."

I rolled over in bed, burying my face into my pillow with a loud grunt. My shoulder was being poked and nudged, completely annoying me more than I already was.

Kalob pleaded with me, still pressing against my shoulder. "You need to get up."

Pushing him away, I tucked myself further into bed, comfortable and refusing to lose the heat of my blankets. "Get out," I mumbled.

"Councilwoman Morgan is here."

"What?" I shouted, jolting up from bed and tossing the covers away.

Kalob shrugged his shoulders, work uniform clinging to his body. "She's here. She said you were expecting her."

I hopped out of bed and started changing, not paying much mind to the fact that Kalob was watching me dress. I mean, he'd seen me in far worse than my underwear. Nothing was new.

Slipping on some sweats, I began to change into a tee-shirt, until Kalob grabbed my hand and stopped me. "Hold on," he stated, bending down slightly, "what happened with your chest?"

Pulling away from him, I slid my shirt down my chest gingerly and brushed past him, grabbing socks and tennis shoes. "I tried on a corset, and it was too tight."

Wow, I was definitely lying too much, especially to Kalob, but I couldn't just tell him I was basically having an affair with Mallory Morgan and I let her tie me up while we fucked. I couldn't lose him, he was one of my best friends, asides from Aurora, and I cared about him. I could love him. I could marry him. I wasn't opposed to it, but, if I had to choose between him and Mallory... I couldn't say. I couldn't choose.

Kissing him to avoid any further questions, I slipped on a light jacket, grabbed my suitcase and a disposable, one-use toothbrush for my awful morning breath, and headed to the kitchen. Snatching a bottle of water for the road, I hurried out the door, shouting goodbye to Kalob. As soon as I opened the door, I noticed Mallory, standing right in front of me. A long, black jacket framed her body and matching pumps. Brunette strands were neatly tucked underneath an oversized hat. Her hands were tucked in her pockets casually, but a wicked smirk lined her delicious lips.

The door opened behind me, and of course, Kalob had to come out as well and make this encounter extremely awkward. Nothing like having your boyfriend and Mistress right in front of you, and the Mistress being the only one asides from yourself that knows of your other relationship.

Kalob handed me my phone and phone charger, a sheepish grin on his face. "Leaving without this?"

Gratefully taking it from him, I stuffed both into my pocket. "Thank you," I responded, glancing over at Mallory, who was apparently having her own little thoughts as she stifled a chuckle.

I rolled my eyes and turned back to Kalob, kissing him once again. "I'll call you when we get to the hotel."

He nodded and walked over to his truck, pulling out and honking his horn as he went past, en route to work.

Mallory, once again, laughed, but didn't hide it this time. "That certainly was cute, Miss Holland. How long have you two been together?"

I ignored her question, my eyes rolling hard enough to cause a small concussion, and headed towards the black SUV parked on the road. God, sometimes she acted like a child. What, did she get some kind of sick pleasure from this?