Chapter Thirty

Approximately four years later

"..Happy birthday to you!"

I ducked my head as the chorus concluded. I couldn't contain the wide smile on my lips, or the laughter that rumbled in my stomach. My coworkers had decorated the back room with streamers, a few balloons, and a potluck assortment of foods. With a swift exhale, I extinguished the single candle held in place by the cupcake

Cheers erupted. I took the candle out, sticking the end in my mouth and cleaning the burgundy frosting off. The sweet, sugary treat greeted my grateful tastebuds, eliciting a moan. Everyone proceeded in grabbing their own cupcake and a plate stacked with food. I filled my own plate with mac and cheese, fruits, and veggies and sat besides Valerie and Angel.

I had met them on my first day at the hospital, and ever since then, we were inseparable. Angel was the brains, able to answer every question regarding any of the patients we were assigned to, and Valerie was the comedian, able to make a joke out of anything and lighten the mood. We were the perfect team of efficiency, almost like Charlie's Angels, except one of our "angels" was a guy, pun-intended, and we worked for New Eden Hospital, not Charlie.

"Hey birthday girl," Valerie exclaimed before shoving a spoonful of food into her mouth. "How's it feel being 27?"

"Like I could fall apart any second," I retorted, uncapping my water and taking a swift drink.

Angel rolled his eyes at me. "Okay, grandma. Try to calm down, you've got a couple more hours until nap time."

We all laughed and ate, easy conversation flowing between us. We talked about our plans for tonight, if Rory and her boyfriend were coming, and how things were going with Avery and I. As soon as we mentioned him, he burst through the door, a wide smile on his lips. His scrub cap was off, revealing his gelled, black hair. It was usually in a tapered fade, but his hair was getting too long, much like his facial hair—he needed a hair cut soon. When he saw us, his green eyes lit up, and he rushed over, his grey scrubs making the slightest noice.

I had met him when I was making my rounds on one of the first days. Being one of the newest RNs at the hospital, I didn't know exactly where everything was yet, and when I rounded a random corner while pushing a cart, I ran into him. The cart had spilled over, and I apologized incessantly. He just laughed, helped me pick everything up, and went on his way. It took another week before I saw him again, entering the hospital while I was leaving. He asked me out, standing in the middle of the crosswalk, and I said no. Avery promised he wouldn't give up, but if I said no after three times, he would back off. At my third denial, a month in which I had known of his existence, he did as he promised, but whenever we saw each other he remained kind.

Then I asked him out, wanting to get to know him and feeling bad that I rejected him three times. He said no, and as soon as I resigned myself to walk away, he reached out for me and laughed, accepting my offer. We went on a date every other week or so, texting when we could and meeting in random places in the hallways for the first four months. After that, we got a little better at communicating our schedules and seeing each other. I was grateful that he was an anesthesiologist, not knowing how I would have been able to deal with him working with me if he were a nurse too.

"Hello hello," He chirped, leaning in to peck my lips before taking a seat. "What's goin' on?"

We filled Avery in on the plans and talked until my lunch ended. I kissed him goodbye, but before I could leave, he pulled me close and whispered into my ear.

"I hope you don't plan on staying out too late. I have a really nice surprise waiting at my house," His voice trailed off, and goosebumps lined my back, "one that involves you, me, and your safe-word." He planted one more kiss on my lips before I went back to work, excited to go out and go home.