31 | Maddie & Ashton

In the morning, there's only a hint of a headache -- I've felt much worse after drinking much less. My bones may be heavy and I think my brain is made of cotton, but that's hardly a price to pay for being on cloud nine last night.

For feeling calm for once.

Everything felt much better than it actually was, and if I could do that every night, I would. Now I know why Ashton drinks so often.

In the spot beside me on my bed, where he should be, is only Leila and The Sun Also Rises, which I thought I could read in one sitting last night. Down on the floor, there's what must be his pillow and blanket, but not him.

Leila looks at me, her head still down on the sheets, like she's ready for me to let her start her day. It must be well after 12 o'clock, or at least it feels that way. Like the entire world has gone on without me, including Ashton.

I groan and finally will myself out of bed.

Downstairs, my mom is writing invitations in her best calligraphy for whatever wedding she's planning now. The water runs and plates clink against each other in the kitchen, and I can hear Ashton and Cooper faintly over the sound of the sink.

"What about Kristy?" my brother asks as I step inside. My dad is sitting at the kitchen table, sketching out some kind of rough blueprint for work. None of them notice me come in.

"From freshman year gym class?" Ashton laughs.

I grab a cup of yogurt from the fridge and sit down across from my dad. He glances up at me and smiles, but says nothing before going back to work.

"Yeah."

"You gave her lice, man," he goes on laughing as Cooper hands him a bowl to dry. Cooper deadpans at him. "And I think you hit her with a softball once, maybe twice."

"Those were all accidents though."

"So?" Ashton says, "She still doesn't like you. There's gotta be someone else."

Cooper hums, thinking, and nearly splashes himself as he tries to wash a mug. My dad clears his throat, taking a bite of the sandwich in front of him before erasing half of what he just drew.

"They've been at this for twenty minutes," he tells me, and I let out a laugh.

Ashton practically whips around, wringing the towel in his hands and falling back against the counter. We've been dating for months, and he still looks flustered.

"Hey," he scratches the back of his neck, "How are all of those sugary drinks treating you?"

I get up to throw my now-empty yogurt cup out, and I think I hear my dad scoff. I try not to flinch; I forgot I haven't gotten a lecture from him about last night yet.

"Fine," I say, plopping my spoon in the sink's soapy water. Cooper glares at me. "So, you were serious last night?"

"What?" Ashton goes back to drying, glancing sideways at me.

"About doing dishes," I grin, hopping up onto the counter. He gives me a small smile in return, shrugging, as I pull my hair up into a ponytail.

"Hey, how about Lucy?" Cooper asks after he finishes washing my spoon, handing it to him. "From the cheerleading team."

Ashton walks over to put it in its rightful drawer, "Isn't she Lily's best friend?"

"Yeah, and?"

"And she dated one of the forwards on our team," he says, "Off limits, I think."

Cooper grumbles something under his breath, which Ashton very obviously pretends not to hear. He sticks his hand in the soapy water, fishing around for something else to wash, but starts cursing almost as soon as he does.