Chapter Twenty

I squinted, the bright light hurting my eyes as it reflected off the shining white floor. It felt harsh. I shook my head, rubbing my eyes, feeling like I had just stepped out of a dark movie theater into the summer sun. I stood in the bright hallway. The other door opened and the four of them came out of the room behind the mirror. They hesitated. Then when the lock clicked they walked over to me.

The general with his blue eyes narrowed, shook his head, "what a misuse of time..." He huffed. "Four hours of nap time..."

He glared at me and looked at Madeleine. She shrugged her shoulders, "I was looking forward to more favorable outcomes but after today's little escapade. The fact she confessed she's a queen." She thought it over, reaching up straightening her spectacles, "we can proceed through the registers."

"Registers?" The remark shocked me, wrinkling my eyebrows, "You have registers? how detailed?"

"Very..." She answered with a smirk on her face.

She drew a slow breath looking around the group. Himagami stood, her hands in front of her showing no emotions. The other, decked out in black, stood like a statue, not saying a word. He was the one that freaked me out.

Since the day, we met he had not uttered a word. He stands there staring at me through black sunglasses, inside a building. But with the intensity of the florescent lights I was feeling. I could've used them.

I glanced at himagami. I imagined she was waiting to burst after the last two elevator ride from purgatory.

"Now." Madeleine took another breath, "William..."

"Huh?"

The way she said my name caught me by surprise and I glanced over as she glared at me, "what?"

She took a quick step and was inches from my face. I remembered her with the commanding officer. How she stood up to him, forcing him to accept she was the one in charge. She narrowed her blue and green eyes. Her face hard and I waited for her to speak. She was one I was scared to death of most. She threatened my family and myself.

"Who the hell told you, you could feed her?"

My eyes nearly fell from their sockets. My jaw dropped. They saw her bite me, both times. My mouth moved but nothing intelligent past my tongue, nor audible phrases filled my voice.

"Don't you ever... ever bring anything into the base camp without clearing it through us..." Her jaws clenched tight, her teeth grinding together. Her lips parted and then she exhaled, "understand..."

I nodded my head. As a sense of relief rolled over me.

"What was it?"

She put her hands on her hips, tipped her head and glared at me.

"Umm, fresh beef and blood..." I pushed the words past my lips.

She nodded, closing her eyes and went over what I had stated. "Okay..." She whispered quietly, pulling her lip into her mouth, "fine." She sighed in the same breath. Her expression relaxed. She looked a little pleased.

"Himagami..."

She nodded, taking the case from me and went off down the hallway. She didn't hang around for me. I looked at her as she stepped away.

"She will leave you." Madeleine nodded as she jerked her head towards himagami. "So, you better get your ass moving, William." Madeleines continued, "tomorrow. The book." She gave me a quick nod, turning her attention to the general.

I swung around to leave, chasing after her. I ran down the hall, passing a couple of wet floor signs sitting on the floor. The smell of bleach made my eyes water and burned the inside of my nose. the slowly drying bright white floor was all that was left of the guards that Tessa had killed. Finally catching up, breathing a little heavy.

"Are you in a hurry?" I spoke between wheezes. She threw back her head, staring at me, her eyes narrowed. I was convinced she was angry at me.

"Are you?"

"No..." Her lips slowly pushed up her cheeks into a smile. "But you will be." She laughed.

"Why?"

I needed to know. I bent over putting my hands on my knees, taking deep breaths. She turned her head, looking forward as the elevator doors trembled as the elevator groaned to a stop. She didn't answer but the look on her face, grinning like a cat that caught the canary.

"Himagami..." I urged her once more as we waited. She shut her eyes, took a long breath, releasing it slowly as if she were cleansing herself. She opened her eyes, reached out and pressed the up button.

"You have been here 12 hours..."

She finished off her breath, looking down the front of her kimono. She squinted her eyes, picking out a thread off her kimono and let it drift to the floor.

I on the other hand, stood silent. I was shaking my head as I closed my eyes, "why?" I muttered, "She must be really worried. I have a call or..."

"Don't worry..." She interrupted, went on to speak, "Madeleine called and talk to your wife. She told her about the accident, that things are running late. She said Stephanie sounded a little apprehensive but overall... Okay." She nodded, drawing in a breath. "she added she sounded very nice. She could make out the girls in the background." she laughed, shaking her head.

"Is that a threat?" I quickly said without thinking. I remembered my conversation with Madeleine.

The petite vampire dressed in a black kimono glanced at me, her black eyes like polished onyx. She showed no expression, good or bad.

"It was a conversation between us." She let out a disappointing sigh, closing her eyes. She turned around as the elevator door dinged. Then moments later it slowly slid apart.

"I am not suggesting anything at all. William..." She took a step as she picked up the handle of the case. "We work together. I am not her hired killer..." She licked her lips, reaching up running her finger along them, "I am not like that."

I stepped forward into the elevator as the door struggled to close. It jerked and then strained as it climbed upward.

I was silent, thinking to myself when she spoke and I dreaded hearing her voice.

"So, Kathleen and I are going to the springs..."