"If I don't."

Percy's POV

We hadn't been dating very long before Luke swapped sides, it had only been a year, but I knew his motives weren't always against the gods. The day Luke and I were in the forest he wasn't intending to try and kill me, only to maim or severely injure - and he definitely never wanted to kill anyone. He was forced by Kronos, who had threatened his Mom - and although she was slightly crazy, it was never her he resented.

It was his father, Hermes.

The day I gave Luke Annabeth's dagger was the worst day of my life, I had failed and consequently lost him. Despite popular belief, it wasn't Annabeth who loved him - she had loved me - I was the one in love with the son of Hermes.

I knew I couldn't return the feelings Annabeth gave to me but I tried. Luke had made me promise to keep her safe, he said he could feel this wasn't the worst threat to the Demigods of this generation and I had keep her safe for her sake and Luke's. It was the closest I could get to Annabeth, the best way I could protect her.

But that didn't mean that I didn't feel bad for lying to her, she was like my little sister. It felt wrong to lead her on and betray her trust like that.. But I promised.

She couldn't possibly ever be my lover, it would always be Luke. Always.

These thoughts were rushing through my head as I brought my plans to Chiron, the ones to protect and improve the defence of CHB. I had only just finished the last draft of the plans yesterday, but I knew that the sooner I left, the sooner everyone would move on with their lives and forget about me and I forget them.

I reluctantly approached Chiron, trying to delay the moment I knew would begin the start of my life away from my safe haven.

"Permission to leave sir?" I asked him.

The Centaur turned around with furrowed eyebrows and a small frown adorning his features. I knew that this part would be the hardest - for both of us. "Pardon?" He inquired.

I slowly repeated my question and was embraced into a hug a short moment later. As Chiron released me, I noticed how his somber face looked nothing like the jolly and cheerful expression his wild and partying brethren wore.

"Of course my boy. Just-just come back one day." The immortal centaur's voice broke at the end.

Not soon, one day.

I appreciated his words, he understood that I would be gone far longer than that which could be called soon. I placed the finished plans on his desk before once again hugging Chiron. I would miss him as much as everyone else I loved.

Eventually, I let go, moving to stand in the doorway, "Please keep everyone safe, Chiron. I don't think I'll be here next time, not by choice."

He nodded, "I will. Did you tell the others of your departure?"

"No," I ashamedly hung my head. "With my fatal flaw, if I did, I might not be able to leave afterwards. You know why I have to go, he'll kill me if I don't."

I turned and ran, not looking back. In my quick escape, I didn't see the tear that trickled down Chiron's face as another hero lost their happy ending.