Prologue

/GABRIELS'S POV\ |Trigger Warning|

It was the first day of Christmas break, but Gabriel had no plans.  Chuck only had a small apartment, and Gabriel didn't fancy seeing him anytime soon.

He lay atop Sam Winchester, staring at the gray ceiling. Christmas lights were stapled on it, giving it some "life", but the cheery glow didn't help Gabriel's gloomy mood.

Sam shifted in his sleep, but didn't wake. Gabriel was comfortable on top of him. He lay his head back down on Sam's chest, staring at the wall, now. He knew he should try and sleep, but it didn't seem pleasing.

Throwing away his shot, he gently rolled off of Sam. He was tired. He was drained of energy. He missed Cas, his brother, and he missed Lucifer, but not nearly as much.

Gabriel stumbled to the bathroom. He opened the cabinet, where he was met by a row of bottles. Pills in those bottles. Lots of pills. Sleeping pills. Pills, pills, pills.

He grabbed the bottle, popping it open. He poured a handful into his hand, staring at it for a while.

He would be leaving Sam. He would be leaving Chuck. He would be leaving Dean, though he didn't doubt Dean might be happy about that.

What about Jo? Gabriel had liked her. And Ellen, too. He whimpered, before throwing the pills into the trash. That was for another day.

Instead, he stalked to the kitchen and yanked out a sharp knife. He walked back to the bathroom. A little bit of pain to start.

He pushed his sleeves up and began to cut. By the time he was done, blood dripped down his arms and wrists. He licked his lips, a triumphant smile growing on his face.

Someone knocked on the door. Gabriel squeaked, doing his best to cover up any evidence. He opened the door, a giant smile on his face. "Heya, Sammy! Wanna go to the Cafe today? I'm really sleepy, and coffee would do both us some good."

Sam smiled. "You're sure hyper today," he observed calmly. "Yeah, we can go, just lemme get some clothes on."

Gabriel began skipping out. Sam didn't move from his spot in the doorway. "Gabe, don't call me Sammy." He sounded deadly serious, and mad. Really mad.

Gabriel swallowed, staring up at his moose. Then, suddenly, Sam began tickling him. Gabriel squealed, wiggling out of Sam's grasp.

Sam chuckled, before finally moving out of the way. Gabriel shimmied through the doorway and to the kitchen.

He waited patiently, sitting on the counter. Finally Sam came out of the bathroom.

"Gabriel, why is there blood in the sink?" Sam asked.

"I had a nose bleed," Gabriel lied fluently. "Sorry, I guess I didn't get it all cleaned," Gabriel admitted slyly.

Sam rolled his eyes. "Gross. I cleaned it up for you though, so, you're welcome. Now let's go."

Gabriel nodded and began to follow Sam out the front door.

That's right- front door. Sam and Gabe shared a house now. Sam took Gabe's hand in his own. Pain jolted through Gabriel's arm and he had to bite back a growl.

***

Gabriel waved his hand carelessly as a laugh fell from his lips. "A vanilla latte with a chocolate cupcake please," he told Metatron.

Metatron had a new job. At a cafe. Gabriel always got deals and shit, so ya know, he came every morning. Sam sometimes joined him.

Sam smiled. "A mocha please." Metatron nodded before turning around.

"Your orders will be out in one moment."

"Thanks, Metatrash!" Gabriel joked after him. He could see as the older guy tensed before letting out a loud laugh.

A few moments later Metatron came back with their orders.

Gabriel felt sort of happy, but he wanted Lucifer, Cas, and maybe- maybe- even Dean there with him.

Sam smiled and pecked his cheek. "Love you."

Gabriel only nodded. Did he really love Sam? As he sipped his latte, he was left to ponder the thought.