Reaper

Chapter 4 Reaper

September 4, 1982 

Insanity laps at my feet like the waves of an unfathomable ocean, the tide threatening to overtake me at any moment. With every hour that passes, it becomes harder and harder to bring myself back, to return to the mind that has become my prison. The little sanity I retain is gazing out the bars, begging for release, if only I had the key. But alas, the key is concealed within my captors and the dark power they exude. I am slowly coming to accept the fact that I am going to die in this cell. The reaper haunts me every moment, just out of sight. I can feel his presence like a heaviness in the air, choking out any relief that a deep breath may bring. 

And so, with death encroaching ever closer, I race to finish my recollections, to give life to the boy that was erased from this existance because of me. Thoughts of him haunt me more than anything else, I can almost feel him next to me. If I close my eyes, I feel his touch like a cool breath on my cheek, down my arm, around my waist. Had things turned out differently, I would be eager to feel his presence, but instead it haunts me so, making me scream out in the worst kind of pain. So since the pain is there, whether I let the memories flow or not, I will let more of the story out, imprinting him on these crisp pages. 

It is Christmas morning and I am the only one left in my dorm, and except for my sisters, I am the only one left in the entire Slytherin house. Blinding light glances off the snow and shoots into the back of my eye lids. I try to ignore it and almost succeed, until a shadow passes in front of my face, blocking out the light. My eyes snap open and I feel a smile tug at the corners of my mouth. Adraxius is sitting on the side of my bed, bending over me, his face close to mine. 

"Happy Christmas, love," he says, touching his lips to my forehead. 

"Happy Christmas," I respond, scooting back and sitting up. "How did you get in here?" I ask. 

"I bribed a first year for the password before the holiday started. I wanted to surprise you now that every one is gone and we don't have to hide. Don't worry, I waited until your sisters left for breakfast," he tells me." 

"Well I couldn't ask for a better surprise," I say and then reach behind my pillow and pull out a small box and hand it to him. 

"Ah shoot, I wish I had thought to get you something...oh wait! I did," he says with a laugh and hands me a small velvet box. 

I wait while he opens his gift, a heavy gold ring with the Gryffindor crest on it. I watch as his beautiful face lights up and he throws an arm around me, pulling me close and kissing me fiercly. 

"How did you get this without your parents finding out?" he asks when he leans back. He slips the ring on his finger and gazes down at it. 

"It wasn't easy, but it was worth it. I'm glad you like it," I tell him. 

"It's the best present I have ever gotten, mostly because it is from you. Now open yours. Sorry its not anything bigger, I couldn't think of what to give you," he says, shifting nervously. 

I rip off the green paper and pull the lid off of a small, black box. Nestled inside is a necklace with a small, silver pendant that looks like a bird's head. It is very simple and not stunningly attractive, but I instantly feel my chest swell. It is the necklace that he is always wearing and has been since the day I met him. 

"I wanted you to have something important to me. That necklace was given to my great grandmother by my great grandfather the day they got married. She was into birds I guess. She slipped it into my hand the day she died, I was 5 years old. I have worn it every day since then, until now. Sorry it is so ugly," he explains.