Freedom

Chapter 7 Freedom

January 1995 

Wonderful, intoxicating freedom! I knew the Dark Lord would come for us and now I am back by his side. He came to the prison last night, cloaked in darkness and released us from that HeII. My final act before dissaperating was to grab this journal. It has been so long since I have been allowed to write in it. The dementors took them away when Fudge saw that it helped us retain some semblance of sanity but now I am out and free and I will never go back. 

The Dark Lord praised us last night. He pulled me aside and called me is best, most devoted servant. He said he was proud to have me by his side during this final war. Excitment tickled my spine at his words, knowing that I was not useless, that I do have a purpose for living. We are planning something big, something to do with Harry Potter. I have long ago lost any sense of family ties. Harry Potter, though he has my blood pumping through his veins, is just another casualty. 

The only problem with freedom is seeing Rodolphus again. He believes he has some sort of power over me because he is my husband. But I cannot stand the sight of him. Just a glance at his hard face and muddy brown eyes makes my blood boil with anger. I know why I married him, and if I could go back, I would make the same decision every time because it was the payment for the thing I most desired. I can still see the Dark Lord's shocked face when I showed up that night so long ago. 

I knew where he was staying. I had heard whispers of his location as I traveled through the darkest places in the wizarding world. Once Drax was dead, it didn't take me long to devise a plan. And now it was finally time to put it into action. I walk up and knock on the wooden door. I am in a dingy neighborhood at the house of the Lestrange brothers. Rodolphus opens the door and his jaw drops open in shock. 

"Bellatrix," he gasps in surprise. 

"I wish to see the Dark Lord," I snap, my hands shaking. 

"C...come in," he says stepping aside. 

I stride past him into the dimly lit living room. There are half a dozen people seated in the small room and all of them watch me with wide eyes as I stroll past them. I knock lightly on a closed door and wait for the command to enter. The door swings open and I step in. The Dark Lord is sitting in a high backed chair, twirling his wand around his fingers. 

'Bellatrix, what a pleasent surprise," he says, motioning for me to sit across from him. He has changed since he left school. His skin is paler and his eyes have a red glint but he is still very handsome, though his looks don't even phase me. 

"I have come to speak with you about something I don't think I can do alone," I begin and he smiles a ferral smile. 

"You need my help?" he says. 

"Yes, I wish to kill my mother. I would go alone, but I don't know if I can finish the job alone. She is a great witch and has many years more practice than me," I explain. 

"Why do you wish to kill your mother? I have heard of her. She is a proud pure blood witch," he says as if that means she is unworthy of being killed. 

"She killed someone very close to me and I wish to return the favor." 

"This is a big favor you are asking. What are you willing to pay for this gift?" he asks smoothly. 

"Anything," I say without pause. 

"If I give you this, if I help you, you must promise to serve me as I fight to cleanse this world of those unworthy to use magic. You must become one of my Death Eaters," he says.