Chapter 1

Disclaimer: This is a story that my friend GrayRoze and I started and will be working on it until we deem it finished. We hope to post a chapter once a week, but that may change. We do not own anything except for our own characters. The rightful owner is the lovely JK Rowling. Hope you enjoy. Feel free to leave comments, questions, and constructive criticism. :)  

Kaimana POV

It's been thirty years since I've been trapped in this forsaken tank, locked away in the deepest cave on this this wretched island. I can no longer remember the feeling of the sun on my face, or the soft gentle waves against my scales. Why did they lock me away? Was I so terrible that they couldn't even stand the sight of me? I never asked to be born this way. How could they do this to me! Those selfish disgusting humans! All of them can drown for all I care! When I get free they will wish that they had never discovered my people.

It's been thirty years, and I have long since given up hope of being free again. At least until I hear someone slipping and stumbling around in the dark. "How could they put such a delicate creature back here!" Hmm, sounds like it's a male going by his voice. A light slowly creeps closer to the blasted tank and the man comes into view looking very shocked. "Well hello there, now let's see what we can do about getting you out of that tank." The strange man says, waving what I assume is a wand. "I'm Newt Scamander, but please call me Newt." the huma-no, Newt says, looking quite nervous, but excited at the same time. I'm guessing he's never seen a siren before. I look at him confused, and a bit amused. Is this man really going to be my freedom from this hellish tank I've been forced to rot in? Well, I hope he knows what he's getting himself roped into.

Newt studies the tank for a few moments before he begins muttering spells under his breath. I watch him nervously, I haven't had good experiences with wizards up until now. Suddenly, the latch on the tank springs open and Newt gently lifts the lid of my tank. "There now, that's better," He says, in a gentle voice. He hesitantly stretches his hand towards me, and I flinch away from him, collecting myself as far into the corner as possible. The wizard quickly withdraws his arm. "I'm sorry friend. I don't intend to hurt you. Do you have a name?" He asks in the same soothing tone. All of my instincts and previous experience tell me to fight, to attack him, but his easy demeanor and seemingly genuine concern make me think twice. I study the strange wizard who claims he has come to rescue me—me, a magical creature that all other wizards hate and fear. His light brown hair is curly and hangs in his face, covering one of his warm blue eyes, and his smile is soft and reassuring. His long blue coat is dusty and travel worn, and tucked under his collar is... a bowtruckle? That's odd. The small green creature peers at me from beneath the fabric with its round black eyes. Newt notices my interest in the creature and gently pulls him out.

"This is Pickett. Say hello, Pickett." He tells it, and Pickett waves at me. I just stare, astonished at this human who is holding a magical creature with careful hands and a fond expression on his face. Slowly I smile and raise my hand to wave to Pickett, and Newt can see that my fingers are not webbed like most water creatures he has come across. "Would you like to leave this tank?" Newt asks softly, and my head snaps to him in shock. Leave? He's really going to help me leave this tank? But why? What does he gain from this? I slowly open my mouth, but then close it and touch my neck. Newt tilts his head then looks as though something dawned on him. "You cannot speak, can you?" he asks, and I shake my head no.

"Could you speak before you were trapped here?" he asks, frowning a bit. I slowly put my hands to my throat, showing him that I was choked before being locked away. He gasps, then looks a bit angry. "They choked you?! How dare they hurt a creature such as you!" Newt snaps and starts muttering to himself. I flinch away afraid of what he might do. He seems to notice, then quickly waves his hands. "No, no, no, I'm not going to hurt you! I am just very upset with those who decided to hurt you," He explains, and I slowly move closer to him, making sure not to bend my tail in an uncomfortable way. He grins, and Pickett slowly creeps closer to me using Newts arm. I hesitantly smile back at Newt and Pickett. I don't know why he wants to help me, but I decide to trust him. "I'm going to use a spell to get you out of there okay? I have a magical case that I use to transport all of my creature friends; you'll be perfectly safe there. Is that alright?" Newt asks, watching me with concern. A magical case to keep magical creatures? He transports them? Where? My suspicion must show on my face, because Newt holds up a small, battered briefcase for me to see.