Chapter 4

Notes: Hey guys, Happy New Year's Eve! As always these characters belong to J.K Rowling, except for our OC Kaimana. If you have any questions/comments/concerns/constructive criticism let us know! Enjoy :)

Chapter Four

Newt POV

"Incendio!" A flicker of flames burst from the end of my wand and soon a little fire is burning merrily beneath the cauldron. After giving Kai an extensive tour and introducing her to all of the animals I spent several hours studying up on the many different potions that could potentially heal her voice. Finally, I believe I may have found one. It's a complicated potion that will require several ingredients that an average potions master wouldn't possess, but luckily transporting magical creatures left me with some of the more... unconventional ingredients. I wonder if Kai would want to help me make this? I could have her write down something if she wishes to talk to me. I decide I'll go ask her and see what she says.

I find her playing with niffler, and I frown a bit. Those two became fast friends, and they love spending time trying to steal things from me as part of a game they developed. I am glad she gets along with my creatures so well, but I'm not sure how I feel about these two being so close, it could mean a lot of trouble for me in the future. Those troublesome trouble makers. I walk closer to them, and Kai looks at me and moves to hide something behind her back. "Kai what did you take now?" I ask, and she shrugs. I sigh, then lunge playfully at her. She jumps away, and takes off running. I laugh and run after her. Even though she only learned to walk a few days ago, she's still way too fast for me to keep up with, and I quickly give up trying to catch her. Instead I collapse on the ground next to the pond, waiting for Kai to come back.

Eventually she wanders back over to me, grinning mischievously, and suspiciously empty handed. I narrow my eyes at her. "What did you take? What did you do with it?" I ask her. She just smiles back at me. Sighing resignedly, I pat the grass next to me. "Come here, I have something I want to show you." She plops down next to me, and tilts her head. I accio some parchment and a quill. "Do you know how to write?" I ask. She nods, confused and I hand them to her.

"I would like to know if you wanted to help me with the potion to heal your voice. So, I figured you'd like these to communicate with me. I am sorry I didn't think about it until now." I say, looking at her sheepishly. She beams at me and starts writing furiously. She holds up the paper and written on it in large, bold handwriting is my name, NEWT!!

"I take it you like this idea then?" I laugh. She scribbles on the page again and shows it to me. Yes! I beam at her. "So would you like to help me with the potion?" I ask her. Sure, but I don't know how much help I will be. I don't know much about making potions. She tells me. "That is quite alright," I say, "Luckily, I do know a thing or two about it, and all you have to do is follow my directions."

I lead Kai back to my workshop where the potion is already starting to bubble. I hurriedly turn the temperature down to a simmer, and look back at her. "Can you get me the dragon scales please?" I ask, pointing to the jar next to her. She grabs it, and hands it to me. "Would you like to grind these for me?" Sure! Tell me how to please. She says, and I instruct her on how to use the pestle and mortar.

Kai gets to work quickly, and I can tell she's enjoying it by the way she grins and bites her lip in concentration. It's kind of nice having someone here working with me. I check the color of the potion, and once it turns a light green hue I tell her to add the scales. She looks a bit scared, but I gently take her hand. "It's okay, just take a pinch and sprinkle it in." She does, and the potion turns a darker green tint. "Perfect! Now stir counter-clockwise 10 times and we can let it simmer for about half an hour." We stir together, and Kai looks like a little child that had walked into Honeyduke's for the first time.

This is so cool! Kai writes to me, excitedly watching the potion shift colors. "Isn't it! Potions have always fascinated me. And they are incredibly useful when it comes to caring for my creatures." I tell her. Kaimana frowns slightly and quickly writes me a note. Is that how you see me? Am I just another one of your magical creatures to be taken care of and eventually dropped off without a second thought?

I stare at her in confusion. "Of course not. I always think about my creatures, even after I've dropped them off at their homes. All of them are important to me." I explain, but Kai doesn't look any happier, if anything she looks angry. She scribbles something down and shoves the paper in my face. I am not just some creature! How dare you!! Before I can say anything, she runs back to her pond and dives in. I don't understand? What did I do wrong? Isn't it good that I care for my creatures? And what did she mean she's not just a creature?

Kaimana POV

I swim around my pond, thrashing my tail angrily. How could he! I am not just one of his animals that he can take care of and nurse back to health! He doesn't see me as a person. I'm just another magical creature to him. All those years spent as someone's lab experiment, and now nothing has really changed. Now I'm just a pet. Rage simmers in my blood and I slam my tail against a rock in a fit of rage, ignoring the spike of pain that it causes. How dare he! I spend several hours swimming in angry circles, half hoping Newt would show up so I could yell at him again, and half hoping he would stay away from me forever. I thought he was different. I thought he was my friend.

After a while, my rage burns out and I'm left to deal with the hurt that takes its place. I curl myself up into a ball as tightly as my tail will allow, and I sink to the floor of the pond. I never should have trusted a human. I should have known better, but Newt was so kind, so understanding, it was difficult to imagine that he could ever hurt me. I should have known better.

I stay underwater for the rest of the day, noticing that Newt still comes by to drop off dinner for me. He waits by the water for a few minutes, as if expecting me to talk to him, but eventually he seems to realize I don't want to talk and he leaves. I ignore the food, even though my stomach aches with hunger. A couple hours pass, and Newt comes to visit a few times but I still ignore him until he finally gives up and goes to bed. As soon as he is gone, I lung to the pond edge and start devouring the food he left me. Once the food is gone, I look around and slowly crawl out of the water, waiting for my legs to appear. Ugh, I can't believe that man! Well that's fine, I don't need him anyways. I'll just play with the animals when he's asleep, and sleep when he's awake.

I take off towards niffler, and see that he's trying to fix his nest but keeps knocking over his stacks of coins. I smile a little, and help him organize his coins to keep them from falling. He looks at me and wrinkles his nose in thanks. I pat him on the head before walking over to visit the occamys. The little creatures are all curled up together in a pile of shimmering purple scales and feathers. I smile fondly, but move on, it's best not to disturb them when they're sleeping. The mooncalves flounce over to me when I approach them, their mouths open wide, waiting for me to feed them. Sorry guys, not tonight. I reach out and stroke their fuzzy heads, giggling silently when they make happy noises at me.

I wander over the hill, searching for the little hole in the ground where... ah! There it is. I reach into the hole and pull out the notebook niffler and I snatched from Newt earlier. I sit down on the grass and the mooncalves crowd around me, waiting patiently to be petted. I shake my head fondly at them. Ah friends, what am I supposed to do? I ask them, but of course they don't hear me, and even if they could they wouldn't understand me.

I can't hide from Newt forever, eventually I'll have to see him again, and I don't think I can handle it. All I can hope is that we get to Hawaii quickly so I don't have to be around him for long. I glance down at the small worn notebook, and start flipping through the pages. Newt's narrow handwriting is splayed across the paper, detailing how to take care of his hundreds of different species of magical creatures. I snap the book shut and close my eyes against the tears that start rolling down my face. Suddenly, I feel soft fur against my skin and I open my eyes to see that all of the mooncalves are sitting down around me making soft, reassuring sounds. Smart creatures. Maybe they heard me after all.