Chapter 9

Notes: Hello everyone! New chapter, and just in time for Valentine's Day! This one's a little more fluffy and domestic than anything, but not to worry, the plot will kick in next chapter. Enjoy :)

Chapter Nine

Kai POV

The week leading up to our trip to Egypt is chaotic. Newt and I spend hours writing up a list of everything we might need, and Newt often leaves the suitcase to get all the necessary paperwork done. Apparently, he needs a wand permit in order to go to another country, but since his wand isn't technically legal in England he has to use more complex (and illegal) means. He's also not actually allowed to transport magical creatures across international borders, but that's clearly never stopped him before.

While Newt's away, I take care of the creatures and work on packing. It's strange, the way Newt and I care for the creatures it's as though we are their parents in a way. I blush furiously, and bury my face in one of Newt's books. How could think that!? Although, Newt calls himself Momma so does that make me Daddy Kai? I burst into giggles at that thought. I hear someone approaching from behind me and I turn see Newt standing there, watching me with a bemused look on his face.

"Are you having a break down?" He asks, bewildered and slightly concerned. I shake my head no, and laugh some more.

"I just had some strange thoughts that made me laugh." I tell him, and he seems to accept it, but he still looks at me warily.

"How did it go?" I ask him, to deflect any more questions. Newt sighs and rubs the back of his neck.

"Okay. They said the papers will be done by tomorrow, so we can leave any time after that. Did you get most of the packing done?"

"Yes, it's all done, and the creatures are all taken care of." I say. Newt stares at me blankly for a moment before beaming at me and wrapping me in a hug.

"You're fantastic! You didn't have to do all that! How did you do all of that?" He asks me, confused. I roll my eyes at him and peck him on the lips.

"You forget, I'm magical. I can do anything." I say, and he kisses my nose. I smile at him, and show him my checklist. "I double checked this, and everything is finished."

"Thank you! You are certainly a great help." He says, and holds me closer. This man is such a sweetie. He looks over the list and starts mumbling to himself. He's still a dork though. I let him go, and head to my pond. I feel something touching my cheek, and I look at my shoulder to see Pickett sitting on it.

"Pickett! Hello lovely!" I say, and gently pet his head. Hopefully, Newt doesn't freak out because Pickett isn't with him right now. "Are you ready to go on an adventure?" I ask the little creature, and he nods seriously. "Me too."

I slide into the water, carefully keeping my head above the surface so Pickett doesn't get wet. I float on my back, Pickett climbs onto my stomach, and the two of us swim peacefully around the pond for a little bit.

Egypt. I wonder what it's like there. I wonder what creatures we'll meet. Hmm. What kind of magical creatures live in Egypt? Sphinxes? Newt did mention poachers though, so there could be animals from all over the world! New creatures that I've never met, or even heard of before! A sudden thought enters my mind, and I sit up so fast that I accidentally knock Picket into the water.

"Oh, my goodness! I'm so sorry!" I dive to the bottom of the pond to rescue an extremely ticked off looking bowtruckle.

"I'm sorry, Pickett!" I say, pleading his forgiveness, but he blows a raspberry and turns his back on me. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I was just... what if there's another one? What if we find another siren?" I whisper, more to myself than to Pickett.