Chapter Two

Notes: We are posting chapter two early because we decided we are going to publish a new chapter hopefully every Saturday. These characters do not belong to us, except for our OC Kaimana, all the others belong to the lovely J.K. Rowling. Feel free to send us questions, comments, and constructive criticism. Enjoy! 

Kaimana POV

I wake up from the best sleep I've had in years to see Newt standing by the pond waving at me. I quickly swim to the surface and pop my head out. "Morning! How's your tail feeling?" He asks, and I make a so-so motion. He nods then sits down close to the edge so he can put his feet in the water. He pulls an old looking sack next to me, and I look at him confused. He makes a motion with his hand, and I hesitantly look inside. What I see makes me extremely happy. The whole bag is full of crabs, clams, and fish! I start eating quickly, but manage to slow myself down just a bit after Newt tells me not to upset my stomach. "I'm glad you liked them. I wasn't sure if you would want these or not." Newt says, smiling a little. I beam at him with half a crab leg sticking out of my mouth, and he softly chuckles. The two of us sit in companionable silence for a while as Newt waits for me to finish eating.

"So," Newt begins after I'm done. "I know you want to go home, but I don't know exactly where your home is," He looks a bit sheepish at not knowing, and I smile reassuringly at him. He grins softly back and reaches inside his coat to pull out a map. "I was hoping you could show me." He spreads the paper out for me to see. It's an old map, the material is yellowed and curling a bit at the edges, almost as if it had sustained water damage. I reach as far back into my memories as I can, trying to recall exactly where I had lived before I was captured. The painted blue oceans on the map seem to stretch endlessly, taking up most of the page. It was warm I think... Yes, the water was warm and bright blue, and there were lots of brightly colored fish and... I don't remember. All I can see is the filthy greenish-black water of the tank and humans with cruel smiles. I jerk my hand away from the page, tears running down my face and hundreds of memories, none of them happy, whirl around in my mind.

Newt quickly moves in front of me, and gently takes my hands. As if knowing what's wrong he starts soothing me, saying things like, "Shh, you're free, don't worry," and "I will never let you be hurt like that again, I promise.". I gradually start to calm down, and I lean my head onto his chest, completely soaking his shirt but he doesn't seem to care. I feel him softly petting my hair. "It's okay, I can take you anywhere you want to go," He says, and softly whispers something else but I can't quite catch it. I nod against his chest and take a deep, calming breath, noticing idly that he smells like a mixture of earth, sea salt, and for some reason, wood smoke. It's an oddly comforting smell.

I eventually pull away from the wizard, and feel a warm blush creeping across my cheeks. I quickly turn towards the map, and this time the swathes of blue don't overwhelm me. Anywhere I want. I don't have to remember where I lived before, I can live somewhere new, I can explore. I glance at Newt who smiles encouragingly. Anywhere I want. I take another steadying breath. Anywhere. I steel myself with grim determination and point to a spot on the map.

Newt looks at where I'm pointing and grins. "Hawaii? Good choice." He says, and I smile back shyly. I look back and study the map closely when something suddenly catches my eye. I point to it excited, and he looks at it closely. "Kaimana? What's that?" He asks confused, and I point to myself. He takes a few minutes to understand then grins. "Is that your name?" He asks excitedly, and I nod, smiling like a fool. "That's a beautiful name," He says, and I blush a bit, looking at the water. "It's a pleasure to meet you Kaimana." He says, holding out his hand towards me. I gently take it, and smile at him. He beams back at me, his blue eyes bright with excitement.

"This will be fun, I've never been to Hawaii before!" He tells me, "I'll have to get my passport, hmmm. That's perfect actually, I have a few other creatures I've been meaning to release, and Hawaii is the perfect tropical environment for them..." He trails off, lost in thought for a few moments before pulling himself back into the present. "Kaimana," Newt says experimentally, letting the syllables roll off his tongue. He fixes his gaze on me. "Don't worry. I'm going to get you home." His tone is serious, and I know that Newt will keep his word, no matter what. I grin, and pull him into a hug accidently tugging him halfway into the water. "AH!" Newt shouts, and I look at him apologetically, but ultimately failing to hide my grin. He tries to scowl me but he's smiling as well.

Newt POV

I can't help but smile at this beautiful creature. How could anyone ever want to hurt Kaimana? She is so shy, and sweet. I will make sure she finds a new home in Hawaii, even if the thought of her leaving already fills me with dread. I stand in the pond, drenched in water once again, and I can't help but laugh delightedly with her. She giggles silently and dives under water, splashing me with her powerful tail as she goes. I will protect her. I will see her delivered safely home, whatever the cost. "Hey! That's not fair!" I sputter at her, surely grinning like a fool.

I shed my heavy coat, leaving it on the edge of the pond and duck under the water to swim with her. Peaceful silence surrounds me as the water covers my head, and I open my eyes to watch as Kaimana swims gracefully through the water. Her long black hair streams out behind her, her long gray-blue tail sweeps dramatically, causing ripples through the pond. Beautiful.

She looks back at me and swims up to me. I watch her with amusement and she bops my nose, then swims away teasingly. She is so different now, so much more relaxed, even though it's only been a day since I found her. I swim after her, trying to catch up to her but she's too fast for me. Soon I swim back to the surface for some much-needed air, and her head pops up next to mine. "Well that was fun." I say, and she nods. Hmm, I really must work on getting her voice back. I wonder what her voice sounds like. I drift off for a bit thinking about her voice, until I'm met with a face full of water. "Hey!" I yell, but without any real anger, and she can tell because she's silently laughing to herself. "You're a trouble maker aren't you." I accuse, teasingly. She shrugs and looks suspiciously innocent. I marvel at her, this poor being that has suffered so much, and yet is still able to joke and be happy.

Sighing, I push my wet hair away from my face, thinking about everything I must do. I mentally run through my checklist: feed the moon calves, check on Doogal, find the niffler and confiscate everything he stole for today, take Pickett back... Pickett. I whirl around and swim back to the edge of the pond where my coat lies, carelessly discarded. I hear Kaimana splashing worriedly behind me as I crawl out of the water and frantically search for my friend. "Pickett!" I fumble through all the coat pockets until I find the small, bright green bowtruckle, drenched and glaring unhappily at me. "Pickett! I am so sorry!!" I apologize frantically. Pickett blows a raspberry at me and looks away. I hear Kaimana swim up next to me, and she reaches out her hand, gently touching Pickett. He looks at her, and she looks so worried and sad. Pickett glances at me then her, and pats her hand. "Am I forgiven?" I ask him softly, and he just glares. I guess I'm not. He must really be fond of Kaimana if he forgave her so quickly.

Kaimana gently picks him up, and he clings to her hand. She rubs her cheek softly against him, and I can see him smiling. She stares at me, and then at Pickett. It looks almost as though they are having a silent conversation. Hmm that is quite interesting. Suddenly Pickett looks back at me and I hold my hand out to him. He climbs on, crawling up to my shoulder patting my cheek. I smile and softly ask, "Am I forgiven now?" to which he responds with a firm nod. I look back at Kaimana, bewildered. "You truly are something special." I tell her, and her normally pale cheeks turn a delightful shade of pink.