iv • visit

• •• •

••

"Did I say something wrong, Raye?" The small Terrible Terror focused its gaze on Maxine, smoke expiring from her nostrils. "Who am I kidding?"

Hiccup had fled from the island mere hours before, and now the sun was slinking back into the earth. The two homeless souls had been resting upon a small stretch of beach that snaked around the hull of the island.

Hatchlings needed time to mourn over the mothers they didn't have time to familiarize themselves with, so the pair were giving them space.

Maxine ignored Raye as the little Terrible Terror stood up, and began waddling off towards the placid waves. "I mean... it's not my fault he's the first person I've talked to in– in... how long has it been?"

The girl continued mumbling incoherently, only shifting her gaze to her winged friend when Raye squawked in an ear-piercing manner. The maroon dragon began to dredge for a floating object, but every time some of the crystal water splashed onto her preened scales, she would cry in alarm and back away from the waves.

Maxine cocked her head innocently, staring at the object with unadulterated confusion. The nursery was too far away from civilization for things to just, wash ashore. She rose to her feet, and immediately after she scooped the forged metal from the water Raye began nipping at her feet.

"Stop!" Maxine hissed, showing her the object in her hands. The setting sun's rays ricocheted off of the metal, and Raye glared at it with exuberance. "Look, it's just a helmet, not anything of use. Well... we could use it as a bowl. A bunch of hatchlings stole all our bowls last season."

The young Terrible Terror stared up at her homeless friend, the latter raising an eyebrow as the dragon's eyes shone with fear. A shadow wrapped around the two despite the fact that the sun had not fully fallen asleep yet, and a growl full of irritation rumbled through the air in rhythm with the beats of flapping wings.

Maxine had dealt with plenty of angered dragons in her lifetime. Most of the time they were on the verge of bringing half of a dozen lives into the world and that was why. Of course, this was quite the opposite from that case.

The young teen swiveled her hips slowly, as to not provoke the newcomer of her small island, and only found herself gazing up at an aerodynamic creature that she only dreamed of seeing once more.

"Uh, hi, Night Fury," Maxine greeted shakily. In the years where she had constantly run into this species, they were no threat to her. She often lived harmoniously with them, even being allowed to be left alone with their vulnerable young.

This specific Night Fury, scales as black as the night she was often left lonely in, simply growled at her and arched its back. Its pupils dilated, eyes darting to Maxine's hands when she began nervously tapping on the forged helmet.

She looked down to the half-sphere, thoughts rushing through her mind. The metallic object in her hands seemed to be important to the dragon, and the dragon was a Night Fury.

"Toothless?"

The aforementioned paused in his advances, his mouth suddenly snapping shut and his head cocking in a sudden interest. Despite the fact that he was now seated on his haunches and waiting for what would come next, Maxine could tell the dragon was still on guard.

"Uhm, I know Hiccup, he was here a few hours ago," Maxine continued, but she didn't need to say anymore. Toothless's ears perked up at his best friend's name, and he bounded up to Maxine we teeth retracted. He seemed to sense her friendliness and the hopefulness she said with Hiccup's name. That, or the fact that the Terrible Terror behind the two was not dead like some would have it as such.

"Raye, this is Toothless," Maxine introduced the two, "apparently."

Raye simply blinked, before pouncing off the ground and flying off. Maxine rolled her eyes, giving her full attention to Toothless. She held the helmet out to the sleek dragon, and smiled. "I suppose this is the reason you were gonna attack me?"

Toothless raised a sarcastic eyebrow as to say, "Where'd you get the idea I was going to hurt you?" Maxine chuckled, shaking her head.

"You're just like the Night Furies I used to know."

The Night Fury waddled up to the orphan, sniffing the battered helmet to make sure it was truly Hiccup's. Maxine's eyes trailed down Toothless's body to find a brown cloth outstretched where part of his tail should have been.

"Toothless... what's that?" Maxine suddenly became worried, and watched as the dragon looked behind him. He looked to Maxine with piercing green which that showed no regret. He dismissed her worry altogether.

Instead, he gingerly bumped his head into her thighs, before gesturing at the hide of his back. Maxine recognized the language. Plenty of his kind before had wanted her to go with him, encouraged by the lack of cruelty found in her personality.

"Oh, no no no," Maxine became pale, gripping the helmet as if it would provide her with some sort of comfort (it didn't). "If I get asked to leave this island one more time today—"

Toothless let out a soft purr, and their eyes connected once more. Maxine groaned when the dragon's eyes softened, silently pleading for the human to go to Berk with him.

The young girl listened to the island, to find that all of the hatchlings had fallen silent, most likely asleep. She then scanned the horizon, which harbored a lack of dark silhouettes flying to the island.

She sighed as a soft breeze flew through, the sun only giving of a few rays of light as it dipped into the ocean. Toothless nudged her, anxious for her final answer.

"Fine." The dragon's tail began wagging out of ebullience, crouching down as Maxine carefully climbed onto his bare back. "Just go slow because I've never rode a dra—"

Toothless did not listen, darting into the nighttime air.