Chapter 8

A/N: To those who have been reading this story: Thank you so much. I truly appreciate it. Just a fair warning, things will be taking a turn for the mature in the near future. Just a heads up ;)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Camila reached her hand down and patted the horse's neck. Lo could hear her talking to it softly.

"Do you like horses?" Lo asked curiously.

" Yes, I mean, I guess so," Camila answered, her hand sifting through the horse's mane absently. "I don't really know much about them."

" I can teach you," Lo offered. "I mean, if you want. Nothing fancy, just simple stuff."

" Please, I'd like that," Camila smiled at her, then she frowned. "They don't spit do they?"

Lo scrunched her face up. Where did she get this stuff?

"No, that would be a camel." Lo remarked. "But they can be mouthy."

"Um, is that a good thing?" Camila asked cautiously.

"Kinda depends on what, where and how, " Lo answered.

"That's what she said," Camila remarked under her breath with a giggle.

Apparently Camila's word of the day was now stuck on ribald. She was pushing buttons to see what would shock, stick and get a rise out of Lo. Lo was quite proud of herself for ignoring most of it.

"When horses learns something new, they lick their lips and blink a lot." Lo explained patiently.

"Why?" Camila asked.

"If I ever knew that, I've forgotten it." Lo said. "Just the way their mind works, I suppose."

"What else?"

"When horses won't go forward and you try and make 'em, that's when they buck," Lo told her, pointing at Camila's horse. "If that guy stops and won't go on, then starts walking again. Hang on tight."

Camila glared down at her horse suspiciously and wrapped the reins around her hands again.

"So what are you, some kind of horse whisperer?" Camila asked with a laugh. Lo smiled.

"Nah, I worked at a stable for awhile and just learn to read them." she answered. "It's just the same way you can read people.

"So I suppose you can do that, too?" Camila smirked.

"Sure, sometimes." Lo deflected. "You pay attention, look for tells, read body language, that kind of thing. It's the same with animals and people. People are harder though, they have motives. They lie, they deliberately seek to be deceptive."

"Why would you do that? Read people?"

"Well, I don't know. I suppose it helps me do my job sometimes" Lo said nonchalantly. "Come on, you're an actress. Don't you learn things about people to do your job?"

"Sure, I suppose." Camila was being deliberately coy. Lo found it amusing that she was so manipulative.

"What about me?" Camila inquired lightly. Lo cast her gaze over at her.

"What about you?" Lo asked with feigned innocence.

"Can you read me?" Camila asked shrewdly. Now it was Lo's turn to be coy.

She had pretty much walked right into this and was going to have to play her cards close to the vest. She couldn't very well tip her hand and say: Well, yes, you're wildly smart, determined, kind, talented but you're also stubborn, ego-driven, have authority issues, can be annoyingly needy and insecure but you blossom with patience and reassurance. Oh yeah, and you're crushing on me, big time.