Chapter 9

They rode in silence, each lost in their own thoughts, just the sound of the horse's hooves crunching through the underbrush echoing around them.

Camila was riding with her crotch pressed right up behind the saddle and she now understood all too well the jokes about girls riding horses. Between the sideways sway of the horse's gait and the uneven trail, the friction was, well, stimulating. She shifted position every so often and tried to distract herself but found it was proving to be an impossible task. Everything was stacked, quite literally, against her.

Most maddening was the grip she had around Lo's waist and the all-too-keen awareness that she only had to slide her hands mere inches in either direction and it would bring a entirely different dimension to the idea of a slow ride back to camp.

Camila had already been shamelessly amusing herself by occasionally allowing her knuckles to graze the underside of Lo's breasts whenever she leaned forward for some reason and she wondered if Lo had noticed. She would also catch herself absently swirling patterns on Lo's t-shirt with her fingertips that were splayed across her stomach. In fact, she had since graduated to scribing dirty words.

The first time it happened Lo didn't really think anything of it, but by the fourth time she was quite certain it was deliberate. Camila was nudging her breasts every so often, grazing them with the back of her knuckles or sometimes her thumb. The realization caused Lo's heart to flutter, spin and plummet deliciously into the pit of stomach.

Testing her theory, she leaned forward a few times under the pretense of adjusting the reins or talking to the horse and sure enough, each time she felt Camila's hand stealthily ride up, the top of hand or her thumb making contact with the underside of her breast, even rubbing ever so slightly. Camila was also getting bolder, lingering longer, pressing harder before falling away.

Once Lo leaned sharply back into the little brunette just to see if she would be bold enough to slide her hands up higher, but she only hugged tighter to Lo's waist. In that moment, Lo could feel Camila's full breasts crushed against her back. When she realized that Camila was not wearing a bra she flushed deeply as she immediately felt her own nipples harden in response. Brilliant plan there, Einstein, she chided herself, worrying her bottom lip between her teeth as she settled back upright again. Now she found herself doing everything she could to encourage the girl's roving fingertips.

Ohmygod, ohmygod. Camila was so momentarily startled when Lo suddenly leaned back into her that she froze, even going so far as holding her breath. Surely she must have done it deliberately, but why? Was she just trying to get comfortable or was she sending a message? And if so, then what? Was it I know what you've been doing and stop that? Or was it I know what you've been doing and don't stop it?

Now, after they had plodded steadily along for another mile and Camila had tumbled the question over in her mind and polished the edges smooth, she resolved that given another similar opportunity it would not be wasted.

For the moment, however, the flare of the saddle kept her from pressing fully up against Lo's back and Camila was actually grateful for the space between them. At this point, the thought of her taut nipples rubbing flush against Lo's back would have been her undoing. As it was, she was already wound so tightly she felt her whole body humming.

Camila was torn between trying to ignore the dull throbbing ache settled squarely between her thighs or actively taking steps to alleviate the situation. While her mind stirred with this new dilemma, her fingers instinctively curled and flexed into the fabric on Lo's shirt and she felt the muscles beneath it quiver to the new touch.

A moment later she was startled when she felt Lo's hand softly cover her own. To her further surprise, it remained there.

Lo closed her eyes and swallowed hard, consciously willing her nerves to steady themselves. She felt she was teetering on the ragged edge of coming apart and that was a dangerous place to be in their situation. She needed her wits about her today. Real honest-to-goodness danger and ridiculously angsty girl drama didn't mesh well. There was just too much weirdness for her to be a frazzled hot mess. HBIC and bears and snakes, oh my.