Chapter 28: mindful milkshakes

Summer had become meaningless to Damian. All he did was patrol and solve crimes and occasionally meet up with Jon and Mia but that was it. Elena had been his escape. His escape from this crazy life and he got to be "normal" with her and her replying of texts was slow. Damian himself struggled with the whole texting thing and he would spend hours thinking of what he would say to start a conversation. It had been 2 months since Elena left for central city and Lola's disappearance and Damian refused to help in the Lola franklin case. It wasn't worth his time. He was angry with her and had made the decision to have nothing to do with her or her case.

Damian was sitting on the edge of a building after catching a few bank robbers and he was drinking a soda when he saw a young woman who had blonde hair and was wearing a biker jacket and tight skinny jeans walking along the street when a man with his hood up tried to grab her purse. Damian put down his soda and leaped off the side of the building but he was very surprised because by the time he had gotten down to her she was beating the crap out of the mugger and yelling things like "watchya think I am? A damsel that can't fight well you were real wrong buddy havent ya heard this is Gotham!",she looked up. "Robin!",she squealed. Damian looked at her."harleen quinzel?",Damian said shocked. "I was gona come looking for yeah my flight ain't leaving till tomorrow morning.",she said happily."your out?",Damian said sort of happy to see her. "YUP! I'm a free woman but I am heavily watched by people around me so yeah I'm leaving for the big Apple tomorrow how you bein?",she said smiling."I've had better days",Damian said rubbing the back of his neck. Harleen looked down at Robin. "Hey let's get a milkshake to celebrate me being "legally sane" and all that stuff.",she said walking over to the mugger who was on the ground coughing and she kicked him in his pride and joy. The mugger went back on the ground again this time he was in tears. "Yeah I guess that's okay",Damian said as he handcuffed the mugger to the street light.

Damian and harleen went to an all night diner and they ordered 2 milkshakes. Damian's was strawberry and  harleen's was vanilla. Everyone glared at them as they sat down some even quietly took photos. "So you seem down she said slurping her drink.",she said looking at him. "Everyday is the same without her nothing different is happening it's driving me crazy!",robin blurted out. Harleen smiled and raised an eyebrow. "Her?".robin went red."who is she? Has she punched me in the face before?",Harley grinning excitedly at him."ah no well um",Damian wanted to tell her how he met Elena and what happened but he couldn't."I get it you gotta keep your identity safe and all that baloney but what's she like?",Harley understood and tried to keep it formal."well she's blonde",Robin started. "Oohhh I already like her",Harleen laughed."she's selfless and kind oh and loves classical music",and Robin laughed"she's talented and her eyes",Robin sat back"oh her eyes !their greyish blue tone to them would just make you-",he stopped."well go on!",harleen said eagerly.robin became overwhelmed.what the hell was he doing?describing her eyes?what?this wasn't him. This never was him."it doesn't matter.",Robin said sadly. "Yes it does matter! Why would you say that?",harleen said pouting. "She's a friend. She doesn't even like m-",he froze again."like me?",harleen finished the sentence and squealed as if she was a fangirl. Robin was at the height of confusion. Do I like her?, he thought. "Harleen looked at her phone. "Jinkies!",she shouted. It was 3 in the morning. "My flight leaves at 5 I gotta go!",she hopped up on her seat."then she kneeled down to Robin and handed him her number."I liked this! Let's do this again sometime! And if you need some love advice...don't come to me but if you need to talk I'm here!",she loudly whispered to her over the table. She made a run for it but paused and looked back. "Do you mind paying?",she said as she began running again. Robin smirked. She was still Harley Quinn deep down. Robin looked down and saw money on the table and a note "you can pay with my money"it said. Robin laughed. Then he went back to his thoughts. He admitted he found joy in Elena's presence. But he didn't stand a chance. He couldn't socialise. He has had no childhood. He's killed people before. Robin sighed and got up and payed and left. From a distance batman layed down his binoculars and smiled. "Under all that hardness Damian you still end up getting a milkshake with Harley Quinn",he said proudly.